It Passed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2016
The article on Flo refers to “PSA’s as young as 6th and 7th grade”....

The real question is, if you're recruiting them no matter what the age, how can you argue with a straight face that they're not a prospective student athlete?

Feb 15, 2017
The real question is, if you're recruiting them no matter what the age, how can you argue with a straight face that they're not a prospective student athlete?
It depends what the definition of what is is...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
If only HS school kids were being recruited I doubt this whole thing would have been put into action hence my
guess is that they will make sure that pre-K - MS is covered :cool:

Feb 15, 2017
If only HS school kids were being recruited I doubt this whole thing would have been put into action hence my
guess is that they will make sure that pre-K - MS is covered :cool:
DD is in 5th grade, need to start making calls

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
Attorney here.

The definition of prospective student athlete here is from the NCAA BASKETBALL rules, and if you dig deeper on the site posted, you'll see that their definition also digs down as deep as 7th grade.

The intent of these rules is to prevent early recruiting of young athletes, and you are CRAZY if you think the NCAA is going to turn a blind eye on coaches who decide to recruit 8th graders and 7th graders because they don't technically fit within the PSA definition. If you're the coach, are you going to stake your program on such a (ridiculous) position?

Its not my position and I understand and agree with the intent. The definition isn’t specific to basketball. Look up PSA yourself if you don’t believe me.

As for coaches, nobody ever intended for junior high kids to be recruited, yet here we are. If it’s not expressly prohibited or if there’s a loop hole people will take advantage of it. There’s no risk for coaches for breaking the intent, only the specific language. As an attorney I’m sure you’ve had plenty of experience with that.

Jul 29, 2016
Its not my position and I understand and agree with the intent. The definition isn’t specific to basketball. Look up PSA yourself if you don’t believe me.

As for coaches, nobody ever intended for junior high kids to be recruited, yet here we are. If it’s not expressly prohibited or if there’s a loop hole people will take advantage of it. There’s no risk for coaches for breaking the intent, only the specific language. As an attorney I’m sure you’ve had plenty of experience with that.

You're misreading the language or taking it out of context. The "prospective student athlete" is defined in NCAA bylaw 13.02.13 You can read that definition here: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=17967#result. This defines a PSA as a 9th grader OR a kid who gets financial assistance or other benefit that the school doesn't generally provide to other students. I think it is fair to say that most colleges do not provide scholarship or early-admission offers to 7th or 8th graders.

But the proposed new NCAA rule would prohibit contact with a prospective student athlete until September 1 of their junior year. Is 6th or 7th or 8th grade BEFORE September 1 of the junior year? There is no ambiguity here. The rule intends to PROHIBIT all contact before the 11th grade year. Any reading of the NCAA bylaws that suggests otherwise is simply wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
You're misreading the language or taking it out of context. The "prospective student athlete" is defined in NCAA bylaw 13.02.13 You can read that definition here: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=17967#result. This defines a PSA as a 9th grader OR a kid who gets financial assistance or other benefit that the school doesn't generally provide to other students. I think it is fair to say that most colleges do not provide scholarship or early-admission offers to 7th or 8th graders.

But the proposed new NCAA rule would prohibit contact with a prospective student athlete until September 1 of their junior year. Is 6th or 7th or 8th grade BEFORE September 1 of the junior year? There is no ambiguity here. The rule intends to PROHIBIT all contact before the 11th grade year. Any reading of the NCAA bylaws that suggests otherwise is simply wrong.

From an assistant for your beloved Gamecocks kids younger than HS become PSA's as soon as any type of recruiting talks happens. So technically they are not according to these by-laws but as soon as a school tried to have any type of conversation with them they become PSA's.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
The only thing I really don't like is the fact coaches cannot invite kids to camp. You don't have to talk about offers or host an unofficial when a girl is at camp but it would be nice if they could at least show attention in order to help guide girls in the right direction instead of trying to hit every camp possible to get in front of coaches who may or may not be interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles