It Passed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Saw one of our local stud pitchers (2021) verballed to Univ. of GA today. I've seen several announcements on FB in the past 2-3 days. Trying to slip in under the wire, I guess.

Nov 18, 2013
I am not sure how some cannot think this is a good thing for the players. Every college grad I talk to regarding verbals, says it is a great tool for the colleges and generally bad for the prospective student athletes. One lady I discussed this with figures that 80% or more of the verbals that don't work out are reneged on the school side. I'm not sure about the truth in this number and I am not sure how you could figure this out.

Eliminating the ridiculously young verbals is good for the players. The bad parts are the communication restrictions. Families will be even more in the dark about how to use their limited time and resources to target schools.

Apr 16, 2013
Eliminating the ridiculously young verbals is good for the players. The bad parts are the communication restrictions. Families will be even more in the dark about how to use their limited time and resources to target schools.

This is what really bothers me. I haven't been thinking about recruiting long enough to see all sides of the argument; however I'm thinking if my DD initiates conversation why can't the coach respond back with his/her honest opinions? Just no commits of any kind till Sept 1 of junior year. It would greatly HELP players to hear that a coach just didn't see her playing for their program.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
This is what really bothers me. I haven't been thinking about recruiting long enough to see all sides of the argument; however I'm thinking if my DD initiates conversation why can't the coach respond back with his/her honest opinions? Just no commits of any kind till Sept 1 of junior year. It would greatly HELP players to hear that a coach just didn't see her playing for their program.

This ^^^, it is senseless for players and their families to not be able to talk to coaches about where they stand. Verbal commitments are and have always been, in any sport, useless. I am in complete agreement with not being able to commit before a certain point, but not being able to receive information, keeping players in the dark, doesn't make any sense.

Jun 8, 2016
This ^^^, it is senseless for players and their families to not be able to talk to coaches about where they stand. Verbal commitments are and have always been, in any sport, useless. I am in complete agreement with not being able to commit before a certain point, but not being able to receive information, keeping players in the dark, doesn't make any sense.

I was under the impression, from reading the posts in the thread, that a coach can say they are interested but just cannot say where they rank in terms of players they are recruiting. So you are a freshmen, contact 8 to 10 teams who you know have seen you play and 6 say they are interested those 6 stay on your list of prospective schools. You continue to follow up with them until they can give you a firm commitment, e.g. Junior year. As the player ages, you can add/subtract teams on your list based upon changes in interests, what other coaches have seen you, etc. I am sure my understanding of the overall recruiting process isn't exact, e.g. how kids get seen etc (my DD is 8 so I got some time to figure this out), but do I have the communication thing right regarding the new rules?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles