Is this right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
So my DD is learning to catch. I do not have a ton of extra money after the team and batting lessons right now so until she can tell me this is a firm thing I am trying to teach her what I know and learn from here and other places. Recently, a friend is telling me I need to fix her stance behind the plate. He tells me it makes him hurt looking at her and that it is not right. I have not said anything in return. So now.....I put it in your hands. What, if anything, do I need to change?
2013-10-19 19.12.03.jpg
Taking signals
2013-06-22 13.17.44.jpg2013-06-22 13.18.01.jpg
Catcher in the ready.jpg
Taking signals

Attachments

• 2013-05-31 17.24.58.jpg
    2013-05-31 17.24.58.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
2013-05-31 17.25.22.jpg2013-05-31 17.25.33.jpg2013-05-31 22.54.44.jpg

More picks

keep in mind that since these pics. We have worked on her keeping her heels down with toes more point down lines when receiving. Especially with a runner on so she can come up quickly from a strong base. I am being told she needs to be on her toes more and down in her squat more to allow her to be flexible and relaxed. I feel that would make it harder for her to come up from her squat.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
She looks like she is doing fine! I like the 2nd set of pictures, better, with regards to her feet being flat and her toes pointed down the line. She does not need to be on her toes, more.

Do you have the New England Catcher's camp dvd? That will teach her all she needs to know.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I do not however, We are signed up for a clinic this winter and looking forward to it. I know they are just one opinion out there but they seem to be pretty good as one. I guess I am asking are there downfalls to other ways other than NECC?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You're on the right track with having her keep her feet flat and toes pointed at the corners. Tell the AC to: 1) do 15 minutes of wall sits a day so that his legs don't hurt watching your DD catch and 2) catchers are tough and don't need to relax until after they're finished working.

Photo 2 from you second post is the best primary stance (no runners on), although feet a little wider (so she has room to shift laterally without moving her feet when receiving) would be better IMO. For the secondary, or runners on, stance, she'll need to have her feet a little wider still and have the thighs parallel to the ground in order to block effectively. As noted below, the only time she should be on her toes is during signal giving.

If she's really going to catch, I'd skip a hitting lesson and spend that money on NECC's $40 DVD. Barring that, below are online camp tips copied from the NECC website. You can also view some good clips at Chaz's Advanced Catching Concepts website.

Lastly, I'd ditch the mat she's setting up on as it won't let her move her feet like she needs to when adjusting stances or blocking. Dirt is best, but at least a uniform turf mat would be better than the tread pattern that the mat appears to have.

Good luck!

"Stance:
1.Secondary receiving position (runners on base) has feet slightly wider then primary (no runners on).
2.Heals are on the ground, toes pointed up the lines
3.Throwing hand is behind glove. 1.Proper position for throwing hand is as follows. Player extends hand as if to offer handshake. Drop thumb to palm, wrap fingers around to protect thumb. Then the hand is placed behind glove with the middle finger knuckles touching glove.

4.Catcher has come up in crouch so thighs are parallel to ground. This is approx. Goal is to get out of deep crouch and “unlock hips’ to allow for a quick explosive move towards second. Staying in deep crouch requires first move to be “up” and that will waste time.

The sign giving position is the only receiving position where the catcher is up on the balls of his feet. When giving signs the catcher’s knees should never be more then 2-hands widths apart. Most young catchers have their knees spread way too far apart. Be sure that before the catcher gets down into his sign giving position the outside of his feet are no wider then his hips. As he lowers himself down his knees should stay pointed right at the pitcher, not flair wide open up the baselines"

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I do not however, We are signed up for a clinic this winter and looking forward to it. I know they are just one opinion out there but they seem to be pretty good as one. I guess I am asking are there downfalls to other ways other than NECC?

Excellent! NECC is the best I've found since I started looking over 10 years ago. Chaz at ACC seems like he teaches similar to NECC, but other than that, its proceed at your own risk. There's a lot of garbage being taught, some of it even from recent DI FP catchers unfortunately.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
@ GM thanks! She is excited to go to the clinic too. The mat is because we were borrowing a HS field right before season in early Fall. They had just worked the fields and we were asked not to tear it up for first game in a few days. Otherwise we do not work on a rubber mat like this. Believe it or not she is really grasping blocking well early on. Some minor things to work through but anytime she misses them while blocking she knows it which I think is a great step in her working to self correct. Here is a pic of her blocking up a Drop Ball on a large batter. Batter had 6" and 30 lbs on her.
Drop Ball.JPG
Right now we are working on throwing to corners and 2nd. I am working on footwork for this. We will be working on Receiving after Christmas. I want to be careful on receiving until I see what NECC teaches her as I do not want to mess her up. She is a (over)thinker....

Attachments

• 2013-10-19 19.12.03.jpg
    2013-10-19 19.12.03.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 136
Aug 24, 2011
View attachment 4977View attachment 4978View attachment 4979

More picks

keep in mind that since these pics. We have worked on her keeping her heels down with toes more point down lines when receiving. Especially with a runner on so she can come up quickly from a strong base. I am being told she needs to be on her toes more and down in her squat more to allow her to be flexible and relaxed. I feel that would make it harder for her to come up from her squat.

She does not need to be on her toes more. That drives me nuts.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
She does not need to be on her toes more. That drives me nuts.

Thanks Flipper14. As you can see in pic 1 she is on toes and in primary position. I pick two she is not and has heels down and toes down the line. In pic three she has one heel up as she is reaching to glove the 1st base side pitch off the plate. I feel she is doing well for 4 months experience.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
@ GM thanks! She is excited to go to the clinic too. The mat is because we were borrowing a HS field right before season in early Fall. They had just worked the fields and we were asked not to tear it up for first game in a few days. Otherwise we do not work on a rubber mat like this. Believe it or not she is really grasping blocking well early on. Some minor things to work through but anytime she misses them while blocking she knows it which I think is a great step in her working to self correct. Here is a pic of her blocking up a Drop Ball on a large batter. Batter had 6" and 30 lbs on her.
View attachment 4984
Right now we are working on throwing to corners and 2nd. I am working on footwork for this. We will be working on Receiving after Christmas. I want to be careful on receiving until I see what NECC teaches her as I do not want to mess her up. She is a (over)thinker....

Good job on the block! I think she's gonna love the clinic - let us know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy