Is This Forum Starting To Get Catty?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
CLM265,
Is your avatar image that of Ray Ray's imfamous 68 MPH drop/rise..., delivered from a prone position?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't think individuals have changed, those who are prickly now, have always been prickly.

Rather, I think over the past year or two, this forum has become rather like-minded about certain aspects of the pitching motion that make sense. Recent postings by certain individuals, have substantially deviated from this philosophy and been overtly ridiculing at times. IMO this has initiated prickliness from all sides at levels that have spiked in the past two weeks or so (myself included:(). I am trying to just back it down and not contribute to it further - As I have learned so much from this forum, I would like to pay it forward to the newbies by keeping better control of my keyboard.
View attachment 3939

tumblr_mg6b5xgrQb1rls0kbo1_500.gif

Being a dog person I found it hard to listen to anything a cat lover has to say on pitching. So I will now ignore all your comments.
MandM knows I kid, I kid, I make joke haha.

Is This Forum Starting To Get Catty?
I just notice what this thread is all about. I see how it is.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
I have a cat named "Catty"........

The written word lacks the REQUIRED emotional nuances used by all human beings in almost EVERY conversation to convey meaning/feelings about a subject.......

As a result, those emotions are "typed" vs. "heard"........This method of communication makes it difficult to convey statements that contain those emotions........Thus, it's easy to go overboard in the written word in an attempt to ensure the meaning is interpreted correctly.........

You also must be able to understand how written communication can contain truisms and strawman tactics that can illicit strong reactions from those who recognize them.

For example......."Men throw harder then women and are better at pitching".

There is a truism contained within the sentence. BUT........The entire sentence may NOT be true........That fact that there is a truism within the sentence allows me to build an argument around that truism, as if the argument is a blanket truth about the entire sentence.........

As a result, I can conclude that women should throw just like men regardless of the physical differences in strength and flexibility..........I.E. the no backswing argument for example........Totally ignoring the fact that in the history of womens softball, the most successful pitchers of all time used the backswing as part of that success........

People who use these tactics are also very adept at attempting to make the exception the rule.

Take Mr. X's infatuation with the Renfroe sisters. Because they do not use the backswing, and are somewhat successful, they should be the rule vs. the exception..........Again, there is a truism that they are somewhat successful, and they don't use a backswing........So build an argument around a truism that says no one should use the backswing..........

However, his argument totally discounts the fact that the best female pitchers in the MODERN world use the backswing, yet he somehow he writes them off as physical anomalies, making them the exception vs. the rule.........See how the reversal works???.......Who is the anomaly? The Renfroe sisters? Or Finch, Osterman, Abbott, Ueno, Pauly, Fernandez, Hollowell, Smith, and ON AND ON AND ON.........

I guess what I'm tryin to say these tactics can elicit strong responses from the can see through the glass walls........

Call it "Catty" if you want..........

May 10, 2010
It is intimidating at first to post something on this site especially in the pitching site. I found it better to post like I am face to face with everyone. We are all on the same team and should treat the 1st time poster to the vetran with respect and dignity. I am not bothered by differences of opinion, because there are no absolutes to me in fast pitch. What good does it do to teach a grip that the hands are to small for or a technique a child is not strong enough for. Just because a pitcher on tv or some man can do it, does not mean my dd can. My dd swings back, throws a roll over drop, back door curve, screw, flip change, and a rise ball that she believes that hop. That does not make her mechanics or science wrong. I love the debate on these subjects and have learned tips that have really helped in improving these pitches. I believe pitching as well as the sport has evolved in the last 40 or so years. Mr. X does not get it. It is not about what he says but how he says it. If another topic is to be started it should be for adult men that use to pitch. Catty, well I quess I am because this is a great site and I do not want to see go the way of HB and or have every one run off because of 1 or 2 who try to take over. The best teachers are the ones respected by the students.

I have a cat named "Catty"........

The written word lacks the REQUIRED emotional nuances used by all human beings in almost EVERY conversation to convey meaning/feelings about a subject.......

As a result, those emotions are "typed" vs. "heard"........This method of communication makes it difficult to convey statements that contain those emotions........Thus, it's easy to go overboard in the written word in an attempt to ensure the meaning is interpreted correctly.........

You also must be able to understand how written communication can contain truisms and strawman tactics that can illicit strong reactions from those who recognize them.

For example......."Men throw harder then women and are better at pitching".

There is a truism contained within the sentence. BUT........The entire sentence may NOT be true........That fact that there is a truism within the sentence allows me to build an argument around that truism, as if the argument is a blanket truth about the entire sentence.........

As a result, I can conclude that women should throw just like men regardless of the physical differences in strength and flexibility..........I.E. the no backswing argument for example........Totally ignoring the fact that in the history of womens softball, the most successful pitchers of all time used the backswing as part of that success........

People who use these tactics are also very adept at attempting to make the exception the rule.

Take Mr. X's infatuation with the Renfroe sisters. Because they do not use the backswing, and are somewhat successful, they should be the rule vs. the exception..........Again, there is a truism that they are somewhat successful, and they don't use a backswing........So build an argument around a truism that says no one should use the backswing..........

However, his argument totally discounts the fact that the best female pitchers in the MODERN world use the backswing, yet he somehow he writes them off as physical anomalies, making them the exception vs. the rule.........See how the reversal works???.......Who is the anomaly? The Renfroe sisters? Or Finch, Osterman, Abbott, Ueno, Pauly, Fernandez, Hollowell, Smith, and ON AND ON AND ON.........

I guess what I'm tryin to say these tactics can elicit strong responses from the can see through the glass walls........

Call it "Catty" if you want..........

Well said! and like the previous poster said I am concerned more with the way things are being said.

Last edited:
It is intimidating at first to post something on this site especially in the pitching site. I found it better to post like I am face to face with everyone. We are all on the same team and should treat the 1st time poster to the vetran with respect and dignity. I am not bothered by differences of opinion, because there are no absolutes to me in fast pitch. What good does it do to teach a grip that the hands are to small for or a technique a child is not strong enough for. Just because a pitcher on tv or some man can do it, does not mean my dd can. My dd swings back, throws a roll over drop, back door curve, screw, flip change, and a rise ball that she believes that hop. That does not make her mechanics or science wrong. I love the debate on these subjects and have learned tips that have really helped in improving these pitches. I believe pitching as well as the sport has evolved in the last 40 or so years. Mr. X does not get it. It is not about what he says but how he says it. If another topic is to be started it should be for adult men that use to pitch. Catty, well I quess I am because this is a great site and I do not want to see go the way of HB and or have every one run off because of 1 or 2 who try to take over. The best teachers are the ones respected by the students.

Also well said....My daughter does not use arm swing....but I am not ging to say that arm swing is wrong though. What is successful for one does not always mean success for another.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd