Is this "bowling?"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2011
When DD started pitching 5 months ago I found this video and promptly had her try to imitate this girl's motion and drills. Now after a crash course in IR I am looking at it again and thinking it is what is considered here to be a bowling motion which will inevitably lead to (yikes!) D3. You can see the hand position they are going for in the drill starting at the 00:45 mark. Any comments or opinions?

YouTube - Shelby Softball Pitching Practice warmup fast drop change

Jul 26, 2010
D3 means your daughter wants an education. D1 means that she's a workhorse for the "man".

Please dont' do the wrist snaps.

-W

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
When DD started pitching 5 months ago I found this video and promptly had her try to imitate this girl's motion and drills. Now after a crash course in IR I am looking at it again and thinking it is what is considered here to be a bowling motion which will inevitably lead to (yikes!) D3. You can see the hand position they are going for in the drill starting at the 00:45 mark. Any comments or opinions?

YouTube - Shelby Softball Pitching Practice warmup fast drop change

First of all. I like this lefty and how focused she is. You can tell she has been practicing a lot. A couple of immediate things she should work on:

She doesn't complete her follow on any of her pitches after release, she tends to stop her pitching arm abruptly instead of letting the arm go naturally out in front of her. I wouldn't necessarily say she is "bowling" when doing the full motion. She seems to generate plenty of power (and arm whip) for her age and should get more IR as she continues to practice and grow.

Like a lot of young pitchers, she leans forward too much and her upper body is over the ball at release instead of behind it. She needs to stay back. Very common problem for this age.

Her biggest issue is she is leaping with the pivot foot completly off the ground on every pitch before the ball is released. Never liked my pitchers to pitch on anything other than infield dirt, if at all possible, so they can learn to drag the pivot foot everytime.

My .02

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And whomever is putting video of this little girl out there, with her full name. I didn't go through all of the videos to see if you could identify the facility or not. Maybe I am just too careful, anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck