Is this "bowling?"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I have to agree with ArmWhip--to me it looks like she is taught a step up variation of the bowling method.
In her first few drills it is the bowling method minus the point the elbow to the catcher. her instructor is trying to keep her follow through long and low--just not loose. It is hard teaching an 8yr old to be loose.

She is definitely getting IR mechanics at full pitch, when she is finished you can tell she works on getting her follow through back straight again. So she is taught to not let her arm go naturally where it wants to go.

She will get older and throw harder and she will rotate naturally at release but always bring her follow back up straight and yes, repeat the cycle and teach this.

Now I know where the hop hop drill is coming from, there are several girls where I teach hopping around like this.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
JD, I usually try to have the girls come down the back side with their hand on the side of the ball or 'inside' it with the elbow leading. "Elbow to the hip and whip" is my catch phrase. Staying open is also a key. The most common action is to be in good position coming down but then start to close the shoulder or square up, this makes it almost impossible for the elbow to stay flexed and still leading, the hand then gets on top of the ball early and they push into the release. They come out of the armwhip position early. Getting away from the feeling of pushing the ball and changing to the feeling of 'flinging' it is difficult.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd