Is this any of the coach's business?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Well I have been with this HC for 6 years and I have never seen him release a kid that played for us over a new player. I can confidently say he would take those players that fill the positions we are looking for, and pass on the rest, I have seen him do it (sometimes it bites us in the behind) but overall he is loyal to the players that want to come back.

Do the best players start or the returners start? Seems like if the new players are better they should get the majority of playing time. If you accept a talented player on your team and take her money she should play over the returner. Other wise you are stealing her money and wasting her precious time. That seems kind of mean.

Nov 29, 2009
Real cold. And one more reason for people to hate that team. Don't care how good they look on the field, that is an arsehole thing to do.(responding to: I did mean Bill Conroy's Beverly Bandits which his girls aren't professional (not the professional Chicago Bandits) to make clear. I agree with you that you should have the courtesy to say goodby face to face. But they are one of the top teams in the country and they run it like a business. You cant argue against their success.)

Sorry, but really not sorry, to say that if a coach doesn't have the stones to tell someone to their face they aren't good enough, don't expect any respect from me.

You need to remember. He has teams scattered across multiple states with players coming considerable distances to play on a team who are playing at nationals and regionals on different dates. With over 140 athletes in the program it's hard to do a face to face. He has about a 10% turnover every season. Bill will tell you to your face the Beverly Bandits are not for everyone.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Well, even though I learned from a Facebook post regarding tryouts that "the team is full" five of the returning players were at tryouts for another organization last night. So, the team might not be as full as the coach thinks.

Nov 3, 2012
You need to remember. He has teams scattered across multiple states with players coming considerable distances to play on a team who are playing at nationals and regionals on different dates. With over 140 athletes in the program it's hard to do a face to face. He has about a 10% turnover every season. Bill will tell you to your face the Beverly Bandits are not for everyone.

Good point, but Bill doesn't coach team. They do have coaches. Wouldn't it be better to have the coach talk to inform the player you will not be retained for the next year.

Nov 18, 2013
If a coach is paranoid about losing players, it’s because they don’t have as much to offer as everybody else. Good programs don’t care if you look around and many will encourage it. It’s incredibly naïve of this coach to expect kids to have the same goals over several years. Some want to have fun and be with friends, some want to get better for HS, others want to play in college and most want some sort of mix. No team can meet such a wide variety of needs.

Most of the tryout process depends on what level team you’re looking at. The better the program and the higher the aspirations of the players, the more “cut throat” it’s going to be. And rightfully so IMO. Tryouts don’t have to be difficult. Honestly assess your kid, do your homework and you can easily find 2-3 programs that are a great fit and that your kid will be invited to. If you’re attending a dozen different tryouts with no results, you’re going after teams that are out of your kids range. If you expect all the spots to be open, the level of team you’re looking at is too competitive. If loyalty to previous year players is an issue the program is either way too low or way too high. All of this information is readily available by talking to current/former players and parents.

Jun 12, 2015
I think most coaches worry about losing players, no matter what they have to offer. Parents aren't always awesome at objective evaluation of teams and coaches. The difference is, those big program, high level teams don't have to worry as much, because they'll have a queue of girls in line to replace the ones they lost. There is still an advantage to keeping the team you've got though, if the talent is good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles