Is there any place in the game for beaning a batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2015
That’s exactly what she was doing, expertly. It went even further, to where she would chant “3-2 whatcha gonna do” on a 2-2 count, or “balls in the dirt” on a called strike. She was being intentionally disruptive. Coach’s kid, BTW.

I will say that I was proud of DD for maintaining her composure, and I told her so. Later in the season, her coach said to me that DD has the right mental makeup to be a successful pitcher. So while it was brutal to sit and watch, I can hope she grew from the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if she is changing temp, pitch or volume during windup, it is illegal in most rule sets, coach should talk to blue about it. yelling and screaming are part of the game, but to me what you descrive equates to moving near opposing teams dugout, and yelling "swing" loudly at every pitch to the batter.

Jun 11, 2013
I wouldn't say never but it has to be something really bad the other team did to you. Certainly not because they hit an HR against you. That doesn't mean it's not Ok to pitch in but to intentionally call to hit a kid is just wrong.

May 6, 2015
- The UMPIRE has no power to remove a pitcher. That is on the coaches.

pretty certain most rule sets allow ump to eject a coach or player for unsportsmanlike conduct (a warning may be required though), so they can, if they feel the HBP was intentional or in retaliation for something.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
DD is a ball magnet...she's gets hit far more often than average. Some of it is that she's a real problem if she gets squared up on a pitch (even one outside) and pitchers will sometimes try to jam her up. I don't take offense, and have never gotten the impression that any of it was a deliberate attempt to hit/hurt her. Hitting batters is a free base and, like errors, those cause losses at pretty much every level. Deliberately trying to cause injury isn't part of the game, and I'd never direct, encourage, or tolerate anyone on DD's team deliberately trying to hurt another player. That doesn't mean that the game can't be played aggressively and physically, but anyone who teaches kids or teenagers to hurt others is a loon. If DD was ever hurt by someone deliberately during a game, I'd deal with it off the ballfield.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
This is really easy:

It is NEVER acceptable to intentionally hit a batter or intentionally try to injure or hurt another player (or participant or coach or spectator).

There. That was easy. No exceptions. No 'level of play exemptions'.

None of any posted justifications are acceptable. There are better ways to express your anger/rage/hurt feelings/whatever.

Totally on board. Will disagree on a purely semantic level with what follows. An umpire has no power to REPLACE a pitcher, but certainly has power to REMOVE a pitcher, and the HC if there had been a warning issued.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
pretty certain most rule sets allow ump to eject a coach or player for unsportsmanlike conduct (a warning may be required though), so they can, if they feel the HBP was intentional or in retaliation for something.

Intentional hitting a batter - pitcher and coach are gone in a second.

Accidental - if she hits 6 in a row because she is just a terrible pitcher there is nothing an umpire can do via rule.
I am certainly giving the coaches a stare and side glance to see if they are going to address it themselves. And even put in a bit of a delay to give them the time they need to come to their senses - but I cannot go up to them and ask/tell/comment on it. I certainly can't remove them from the game.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In my experience, a pitcher who hits six batters isn't doing it intentionally. She's just having control trouble.

Unintentionally hitting batters is part of the game. Doing it on purpose is not. Best way to get even with someone for hitting a home run is hit one yourself. Or win the game anyway. If you get yourself caught up in petty nonsense it's you who loses out.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes, just like there is a place in the game for spiking another player or blasting them on the base path. It's called retaliation. When the opponent does you wrong you must react in kind. Don't like it, go play soccer.

While you should never instigate that type of play, the only way to keep it from happening to you and your teammates is to stand up for yourself. Eye for an eye.... its like in the Bible or something
How can you say "there's never a reason...?"

So if the opposing pitcher has beaned a half dozen of your hitters, you're not going to bean that pitcher when they come up to bat? I call BS. You're going to have your pitcher put one in their ribs

I SINCERELY hope you are not a coach. I find your attitude completely reprehensible, especially for a youth sport. You want some payback? Do it on the scoreboard.

HBPs happen. We consider those free bases. My DD gets HBP so often it's become comical (8x in the last 6 weekends). If you are upset by them, maybe this sport isn't for you.

Oct 4, 2018
To add to other posts:
- The UMPIRE has no power to remove a pitcher. That is on the coaches.
- I don't care 'what else happened' - trying to injure someone is wrong. I will toss the player and the coach in a second if I see it.

Based on those two statements, it seems you can remove a pitcher. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes