Is there any place in the game for beaning a batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
In select ball, is it acceptable to intentionally hit a batter their next bat after they hit a home run? Is it just "part of the game" or is it bush league? Have you ever seen it happen? Was it Snohomish Shocking or just commonplace?

Nov 8, 2020
Yes, just like there is a place in the game for spiking another player or blasting them on the base path. It's called retaliation. When the opponent does you wrong you must react in kind. Don't like it, go play soccer.

While you should never instigate that type of play, the only way to keep it from happening to you and your teammates is to stand up for yourself. Eye for an eye.... its like in the Bible or something
Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Plain and simple, it's not only morally/ethically wrong, but dangerous also. It's bad enough the broken fingers, wrists, elbow surgeries, concussions and a slew of other injuries that occur when HBP accidentally. Why would you want to intentionally put a child in danger of serious injury?

IMO, this type of thinking needs to go the way of the Neanderthals. Leave it for the guys still batting around a ball for millions of dollars but keep it out of our sport.

May 23, 2015
After a home run? No way.

Tempting as it is to want to put one in their back pocket in retaliation for dirty play or something similar...just remember that these are still kids and we're supposed to be adults.

Now, if you want to sharpen your spikes and slide cleats up...thats how you send a message.

Nov 8, 2020
How can you say "there's never a reason...?"

So if the opposing pitcher has beaned a half dozen of your hitters, you're not going to bean that pitcher when they come up to bat? I call BS. You're going to have your pitcher put one in their ribs

Oct 10, 2018
No. Always good advice, two wrongs don't make a right. No matter how dirty an opponent plays, stay classy and take the high road. It's a life lesson that sometimes crappy things/people cross your path, don't drag down to their level. How does the saying go, never wrestle with a pig in mud the pig is more experienced and likes it.

Nov 8, 2020
Does 1 wrong make a right?

There's another saying.... "2 wrongs may not make a right but they do make things even and even is the best you can hope for once one side has been wronged"

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Yes, just like there is a place in the game for spiking another player or blasting them on the base path. It's called retaliation. When the opponent does you wrong you must react in kind. Don't like it, go play soccer

While you should never instigate that type of play, the only way to keep it from happening to you and your teammates is to stand up for yourself. Eye for an eye.... its like in the Bible or something

I'm no fan of soccer, but it's a much rougher game than any bat and ball sport. By far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802