Is there any place in the game for beaning a batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Most parents and probably most coaches and definitely a lot of people on here I bet don’t even know how the bases are measured and what point of the bases that measurement is to.

I've spent the past ~4 or so years trying to get the guy who runs the league our younger teams play in that you measure apex of the plate to back of first/third base (he always measures to the front). I'm not prepared to see his brain melt when I tell him you then measure to the middle of second base.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
it does, and it means that the distance between NONE of the bases is 60 feet.

Not to further derail a thoroughly off the tracks thread, but people should consider that when they brag about slapper home to first times. In fact, the only way those times can possibly be legit is that they're measuring a distance that's quite a bit less than 60 feet.

Oct 26, 2019
I've spent the past ~4 or so years trying to get the guy who runs the league our younger teams play in that you measure apex of the plate to back of first/third base (he always measures to the front). I'm not prepared to see his brain melt when I tell him you then measure to the middle of second base.
It’s a great teaching point though when you teach baserunning. Hit the front of the bag when running to first and you run less than 60 feet!

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Not to further derail a thoroughly off the tracks thread, but people should consider that when they brag about slapper home to first times. In fact, the only way those times can possibly be legit is that they're measuring a distance that's quite a bit less than 60 feet.

Some professional baseball players don’t get it either (it’s misunderstood at every level):

“When asked about the announced changes by the league, Luke Voit didn’t seem too fond of MLB’s plans, particularly the changes to the bases, which will be expanded by three inches to both avoid collisions on the bases and hopefully increase traffic and aggressiveness with stolen base attempts.

“The game’s been played at 90 feet bases forever,” Voit said. “I don’t think they need to change that. I think it’s stupid, honestly. But I get it, they’re trying to change the game.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi