Is there any place in the game for beaning a batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2015
As someone who almost lost use of his left hand and has the scars to prove it, the only message you send is you're a maniac and you need treatment.

I have a dry sense if humor and that is missed sometimes....ok alot of times (coupled with my previous comment about not beaning people Id hoped that came through. Admittedly I suck a humor.)

The sliding injuries can be brutal. DD had a thumb nail torn off, and about 6 sets of cleat marks on her legs and arms...all from one hard slide into the bag she was covering in a play that went haywire. Asked her if it was an Octopus that slid into her. Not a dirty play...just a hard slide.

Jul 14, 2018
DD played a game two years ago where she got thumped pretty good. There was one player on the other team who was hanging over the fence, screaming (and I don’t mean yelling, voice-cracking screaming) at her during every windup. They were up 10-0 in the third inning, and this one kid was just relentless.

I told DD after the game, if that ever happens again, you have to put that kid on the ground. I don’t care if it’s at the hands or an actual HPB, that (to me) is a situation that calls for the pitcher to get nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
To answer the OP: No, it's not. Hitting someone because they're better than you is stupid for a lot of reasons, one of which being that you're just giving them a free base. Don't do it.

Adults instructing children to launch a projectile at other children is insane, criminal behavior.

I'm less bothered if the players take it upon themselves, but I don't see how hitting the pitcher because she (accidentally) hit a few of yours achieves anything. She wasn't trying to do it. She can't help it. She's not going to do it less now that she's been hit. And you put a runner on base. It's dumb.

A pitcher being unafraid to hit a batter is good. A pitcher throwing inside is good. A pitcher who throws inside and doesn't mind the occasional HBP is going to achieve that same inside-pitching intimidation factor as a psychopath who'll intentionally hit batters. All of that is part of the game, and it's important to teach it to pitchers.

May 6, 2015
I do not condone intentionally hitting a batter. Never did, even in my baseball days. Just something I have never understood and never will.

That said, I fully believe that the pitcher has a right to the inside portion of the plate. If a hitter is leaning in, trying to take away that part of the strike zone, and they get hit by an inside fastball, so be it...
completely different than beaning a batter, which by definition is intending to hit them.

May 6, 2015
There is no rule that gives the umpire the authority to make a pitching change because of HBPs.
if they reasonably believe there is intent they can, as unsportsmanlike conduct. pretty certain all rules sets put ejections for this at discretion of umpire.

and girl yelling during windup, if there are changes in pitch, tempo, or volume at or during windup, should be a warning, then ejection. this s covered in most rulesets. if ump will not give warning, talk to them. then start talking to your girls EXTREMELY loudly (but not during opponents windups lol) about how proud you are of their sportsmanship, how it is incredible, and more important than game results. a little shame can go a long way.

if it is just a pitcher struggling, instruct your batters to be ready to turn and take it on back or hip, or pull out of box. you will get lots of BR and runs probably.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In select ball, is it acceptable to intentionally hit a batter their next bat after they hit a home run? Is it just "part of the game" or is it bush league? Have you ever seen it happen? Was it Snohomish Shocking or just commonplace?

This is really easy:

It is NEVER acceptable to intentionally hit a batter or intentionally try to injure or hurt another player (or participant or coach or spectator).

There. That was easy. No exceptions. No 'level of play exemptions'.

None of any posted justifications are acceptable. There are better ways to express your anger/rage/hurt feelings/whatever.

To add to other posts:
- The UMPIRE has no power to remove a pitcher. That is on the coaches.
- I don't care 'what else happened' - trying to injure someone is wrong. I will toss the player and the coach in a second if I see it.

Jul 14, 2018
and girl yelling during windup, if there are changes in pitch, tempo, or volume at or during windup, should be a warning, then ejection. this s covered in most rulesets.

That’s exactly what she was doing, expertly. It went even further, to where she would chant “3-2 whatcha gonna do” on a 2-2 count, or “balls in the dirt” on a called strike. She was being intentionally disruptive. Coach’s kid, BTW.

I will say that I was proud of DD for maintaining her composure, and I told her so. Later in the season, her coach said to me that DD has the right mental makeup to be a successful pitcher. So while it was brutal to sit and watch, I can hope she grew from the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi