Is there any place in the game for beaning a batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Society doesn't have to agree with my definition of art. I was hired to make these sort of judgments. Are you or texasheat really saying you can't tell when a HBP was accidental and when it was meant to 'send a message'? If the HBP was intended to be retaliation of some sort, it had BETER be identifiable or else it didn't serve its purpose.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Intentional hitting a batter - pitcher and coach are gone in a second.

Accidental - if she hits 6 in a row because she is just a terrible pitcher there is nothing an umpire can do via rule.
I am certainly giving the coaches a stare and side glance to see if they are going to address it themselves. And even put in a bit of a delay to give them the time they need to come to their senses - but I cannot go up to them and ask/tell/comment on it. I certainly can't remove them from the game.
Hey married, how do you handle, or what's your stance on a hitter who keeps body parts over the plate and in the strike zone? Not just in the river, but over the plate!

In the hundreds of games my DD has pitched in TB and HS, there was one game I'll always remember when she was a junior in HS. We were playing a team that Anna was in complete control of, the 5 or 6 hole hitter was up (?) and had a 0-2 count on her, next pitch Anna brushed her jersey and she got to take her base!

Now you've got to understand, an 0-2 count HBP is worse in my eyes than a hit with a 0-2 count, my eyes get very red! Next hitter up, 3rd out, we go hit. When this team came up to hit again the coach had a new plan, CROWD the plate, and sure enough Anna hit a girl that inning. Fast forward, that first girl that had her jersey brushed is up, and she's over top of the plate, first pitch Anna drills her in the ribs, hard! I call time out and walk to the circle and begin to chew on her all the while the ump is actually talking to the other coach, he never said a word to me or Anna!

I'm at the mound with her and my catcher, this poor girl still hasn't made it to 1B yet, everything calms down, my catcher goes back to her position and then I stare at my 5'0" DD and she quietly says to me "yes I hit her on purpose!" I told her that better never happen again (and don't you ever tell anyone you did that on purpose). We never had to speak about it again, although my catcher did tell me when the girl got hit the first time she laughed and said "Ha" which of course my catcher told Anna!

But after that girl took a shot to her side, no one else crowded the plate the rest of the game.....

The ump did come talk to me and the other coach after the game and in a round about way somewhat apologized for not addressing the issue earlier, he knew it was going on! Just curious if that's ever an issue with you?

And BTW, I definitely don't condone retaliation, and I've bit my tongue many many times in this game before! I've got the sweetest, most big hearted DD any dad could ever ask for, guess it's easy to get caught up in the moment?

Nov 18, 2013
Society doesn't have to agree with my definition of art. I was hired to make these sort of judgments. Are you or texasheat really saying you can't tell when a HBP was accidental and when it was meant to 'send a message'? If the HBP was intended to be retaliation of some sort, it had BETER be identifiable or else it didn't serve its purpose.

You used the art analogy Lol.

I can usually guess when a HBP is intentional, but it’s hard to say with certainty if it was an inside pitch meant to hit her or take back the inside of the plate.

I’m sure you remember the Florida/Michigan WCWS not long ago where there were like a dozen HPB’s and I don’t recall any ejections.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
a hitter who keeps body parts over the plate and in the strike zone? Not just in the river, but over the plate!

If she is actually in the strike zone, easy call, dead ball, strike, all runners return. In addition, the only time the batter doesn't need to make an attempt to not be hit by the ball is when the pitched ball is entirely within the batter's box. So, if she is crowding, she needs to be making an attempt to move or she just wore one for no reason and is staying at bat. (Yes, I know there is an exception if she is 'frozen' by the pitch)

Jun 8, 2016
Hey married, how do you handle, or what's your stance on a hitter who keeps body parts over the plate and in the strike zone? Not just in the river, but over the plate!
Could be wrong but isn’t that addressed in the rule book?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Florida/Michigan WCWS

in that situation, it had better be IMMINENTLY clear that it was intentional. As I have said before, you try to keep players and coaches in the the game. If fact, an umpire has never ejected a player or manager, they eject themselves; the umpire simply acknowledges the fact that they wanted to leave the game early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523