Is learning to pitch early in softball career beneficial?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
On another thread, a poster said that it does not really matter if a pitcher starts pitching early (ex. 8U) vs learning how to pitch in high school, with the theory that "you either have it or you don't" and used Monica Abbott as an example. In general, I disagree with this statement and would have to think that a young pitcher would have thousands of hours of practice and game tested experience that must be an advantage over someone who only started pitching in high school.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
If they stick with it. I've seen many a pitchers who dominated at the lower ages that either got passed up or found a position they liked better.

Oct 18, 2009
IMHO this will help some more than others. I think this is for almost any activity that requires a skill learned. While kids starting earlier may dominate or do better at a younger age at some point genetics will take over and they will reach their max potential; whatever level that may be. Those with genetics more suited to what they are doing with hard work may eventually pass those who have started at a younger age but genetics are not in their favor.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
IMHO this will help some more than others. I think this is for almost any activity that requires a skill learned. While kids starting earlier may dominate or do better at a younger age at some point genetics will take over and they will reach their max potential; whatever level that may be. Those with genetics more suited to what they are doing with hard work may eventually pass those who have started at a younger age but genetics are not in their favor.

Let me put it another way. Do you think Monica Abbott would have been a better pitcher in college and beyond if she started pitching at age 8 instead of say age 15 (high school)? IMO - YES. Or conversely, if Jennie Finch didn't start pitching until high school, does she make the US national team and play in the Olympics? Probably not. The only potential downside I see pitching "early" is possible injury and/or burnout.

Oct 12, 2009
The only potential downside I see pitching "early" is possible injury and/or burnout.

Both of these are huge problems in baseball, and it's getting worse as people are beginning to believe that if their kid isn't a stud at 8, he's never going to be any good.

That of course is just hogwash and is chewing up many of the best young American arms.

There are large numbers of major league baseball players who didn't convert to pitcher until high school, college, or even the minor leagues. That might be a bit different for girls, given that softball unfortunately now basically tops out in college, but I think the same general principles apply.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
The earlier the better if you are doing it correctly. It makes no sense to wait when there is all of that muscle memory and pitching experience to be had.

Oct 22, 2009
It would be extremely difficult to become a pitcher at a later age, unless you had the genetic gifts to back you up.
Just finding a team to give you mound time while you were learning would be tough. You may have to find lower level teams, then as you improve, trying to get onto a better team and work your way up through a pitching rotation would be tough.
I think starting at 11-13 would be great, you could learn while in league play then move on to tournament ball after a couple of years.
14 and up--I would think very difficult unless you were just very strong and gifted---and a HARD worker.
9-10 this is the age I noticed most of the advanced pitchers in my area started at.
7-8 they can be good, If they make it through the first year. They are too young to know if they really want to pitch and how much effort workouts are.
I don't think burn out is real factor, if you start something really young, that is what you know and what you do, it becomes part of your life. My DD began to play ball at 4, she played for 17yrs and pitched for 12yrs, and has now coached for 3. It's her life.
I think "giving it up" is more the term. It's hard when they are little and dominating to face the facts that they are not one of the best as they get older.
You don't normally see dominating pitchers get burn out and quit.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
On another thread, a poster said that it does not really matter if a pitcher starts pitching early (ex. 8U) vs learning how to pitch in high school, with the theory that "you either have it or you don't" and used Monica Abbott as an example. In general, I disagree with this statement and would have to think that a young pitcher would have thousands of hours of practice and game tested experience that must be an advantage over someone who only started pitching in high school.

I have to agree. There is much more to being a successful pitcher than just pitching. Covering bases/home, knowing your plays, understanding which pitches are working and the ones that don't ( that particular day or game ). And the list goes on. Nothing can replace those years of trial and error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32