Is it or isn't it...all about the win?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 1, 2009
We always coach to win the final game of the season. In the early part of the year we are focusing on development and reaching new levels of effectiveness on the field. With that being said if we put on our uniform we intend on playing to win. That doesn't mean winning at all costs, but making sure all girls are prepared to play.

Jan 15, 2009
Yep. Always interesting when half the parents dont show up till noon the next day because they are too hung over to get to ball park at 730 am. But the flipside is if it wasnt a bit fun for parents too, maybe fewer would be willing to shell out the kind of $$$ it takes to participate.

I've always found that the parents need at least 3 or 4 drinks at the hotel before my boring softball stories start sounding interesting. I'll stay up all night and talk softball with the parents, god bless them, the kids run for it the first chance they get (shows they are smarter than Mom and Dad).

May 7, 2008
We all come out of the womb wanting to win, the art is in discovering how to be a gracious loser. I rarely refer to baseball, but after the Yanks lost to the Red Sox which advanced them in postseason and eventually emerging Worlds Series Champions...a reporter interviewed Alex Rodriguez who was angry and proclaiming revenge for the next year. When Derek Jeter was interviewed, he said, "They outplayed us. I hate that the season is over and look forward to coming out next spring and having another opportunity to show what a good team we are." I pointed out the stark contrast to my kids. Derek is a fierce competitor who wants to win, but he apparently learned the art of losing (would risk saying from his Dad's guiding influence). That's my take.

Feb 4, 2013
I can tell you that it may not ALL be about the win but when you have zero wins, it becomes mighty important. Having no wins pushes girls out of the game, frustrates them and their parents, and generally is no fun at all. From that perspective, it is all about the win loss record.
We're having to work to find the silver lining after continual losses. And after a while, they know what you are doing. Lipstick on a pig. Not that there aren't positives every game, cause there are. But still. . .no W's gets old after a while, no matter how you try to spin it.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
You should always be attempting to win. That is the objective in a game. However on the journey towards winning in sports there are many steps where learning and change are important. Some times the learning is merely how we handle a situation. Also many of the times the learning come on the heals of a LOSS. So when you lose do you become a sore loser who is nothing more than a poor example to those you coach? I say "when" because everyone loses at some time or another.
The question is do you work to earn the win. All to often coaches are more willing to cut corners. Mostly by recruiting new players in hopes of a win as opposed to Coaching up the players you have. If you had lessor talented players, you may need more patience because it may take longer but it can happen. I see winning as something you earn. Earned by players, earned by coaches and earned by parents (especially at younger ages b/c I d not see them driving themselves to lessons). All of these groups have to put in the work. No one can do it alone and earn a win. There are not as many elite players in youth sports to go around. So I guess it depends on us and what we are willing to put in. Many times as adults we hold expectations of winning without having done enough to EARN it.
Besides who know who will be the next amazing player by age 16-18? I bet on many occasions we would have not guessed the kids who "took off" in the sport once they got older. It was probably no "instant" change. It was probably a supportive parent and a patient coach who helped them develop into a player who could contribute towards earning a win.
I read recently that winners are not people who never fail. They are just people who never gave up. I think we lose sight that most (not all) people/teams have to work at it very hard to become winners in the game. Some longer than others. But not matter what, we all have to work at it, even the most talented among us.

Jul 2, 2013
YES, of course it is always about the win!

But when you talk to some of the parents, players, and ask the hard questions. Are you willing to sacrifice your glory, not be acklowledged? Are you willing to change positions? Are you willing to listen and mentor the young players for the betterment of the team? Are you willing to take a subordinate role, even though you are the best player, in order to win?

That is where the rubber meets the road, folks. The ones that do, are true winners. The ones who don't, won't ... and will be the first ones to blame someone else for "their" losses.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If it is all about the win, why do so many people worry about the number of games guaranteed and where they are being played? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi