Is it or isn't it...all about the win?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
DD went through a bad streak of losing every game in multiple sports, it does wear on her a little bit but her Teams have been winning a little bit lately so I will not bore you with any of my stories.

We have a year-end tournament in her sports and since her Teams never won, think 0, we always had to play the #1 seed in the opening round. DW thought that was very unfair. :)

Dec 20, 2012
Is it always about the win? NO! Would you always like to win? YES!

If you are playing in a elimination style tournament, yes it is usually about the wins. When it comes to recruiting the whole thing changes. That is why there are so much concern about GG. You play 5 pool games and then an elimination bracket, double or single. Often the brackets are made regardless of how pool play goes. Rules are laxed in order to benefit the girls. Now you get the chance to show players at different positions, bat girls out of order, swap pitchers in and out,... You are able to cater to any college coaches that come and make requests of who they would like to see playing in what position. If a girl is a middle infielder you would want showcase her at SS rather than 2nd. For the most part the SS is the most athletic player on the field. If a kid can play SS and play it well then MOST, not all, coaches believe they can put them anywhere on the field(except P and C)The more game you can get in the more chances of girls showcasing their talent. You may have 4 or 5 girls to get in and 1 or 2 innings each just isn't enough. If they want to see a girl hit and you have a hour or hour fifteen time limit she could get 1 maybe 2 at bats, 3 if she's lucky. Not to mention if coaches are at a large tourney like the Firecracker the games are at multiple locations and they are spread thin. So the more games the more opportunity to be seen.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have trouble saying that it's all about winning since I'm not willing to win at all costs. Winning and losing is largely a function of the competition we seek out. I can always find opponents that my team can beat. I would win more if I did that. But I don't. Why? Because it's not all about winning. For me, it's all about the process of trying to play the game a certain way. There is a certain way to hit, to field, to throw, to compete, to conduct yourself on and off the field. Part of that conduct is the effort to win. But there are too many things that that I can do to win that would compromise that ''certain way'' of playing the game for me to say that it's all about winning.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Is it all about the win, no its also about the experience and developing. With that said, the goal should be to win and it should be considered a good thing. Does that mean there is nothing to gain from losses, no. Losses are where you learn more about your self and your team. Its not always a bad thing to lose, but winning is better.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Someone said ask the girls what they think. I remember my dd as a 7 or 8 year old soccer player. It was AYSO (rec) and we had won all of our games, we were playing the other team who was also undefeated. The game ended in a 0-0 tie. My dd was sulking in the car, and I tried to cheer her up.
Me: It was a great game, the whole team played well, the other team is good too, it was a great game, you know the girls on that team, you know its a good team... Its not like we lost.

DD: It was a tie Daddy. Neither team won, its like we both lost.

And that was my dds attitude about everything, including grades, forever. The time I tried to explain to her at age 8 that a 96 on a test is a good grade. But Daddy, the goal is 100, 96 is not the goal.

Luckily she is a lot better at handling losses. Stil hates them, but handles it much better.

Oct 18, 2009
I was at a college clinic with my DD a few weeks ago. After the clinic the coach was talking about her program to the players and parents. She said, "To be perfectly honest, as a college coach, it's all about the win. If she doesn't win or consistently win, she loses her job." She said in games, she has to put the players out there that give her the best chance to win every single conference game. Non-conference may have a little leeway; but she still was playing to win. With a roster of 20, there are always 10 or 11 other girls sitting or not in the game at the moment. If a person wants to start who has not been selected to start they need to convince the coach who has to come out in order for them to start or get in the game. If what they do or say makes sense she takes into advisement and maybe starts them.

I'm not sure if I agree with this entirely, but it does make sense to some degree. It seems to foster that desire to compete and to do whatever you can to become better.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
College ball different? Or is it not being in the dugout and having to do the 3 Ls thing?

IDK? We got some good players, but they can't seem to work as a "unit". It's hard to explain, just a few little things I'd do different for chemistry.

BUT, I'm just going to enjoy the time and be thankful. Even if that means going to the games like this to stay out of trouble. :)

cefa13aa70027a8822cdc894da17c67f_zps5201fea2.jpg
[/IMG]

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
IDK? We got some good players, but they can't seem to work as a "unit". It's hard to explain, just a few little things I'd do different for chemistry.

BUT, I'm just going to enjoy the time and be thankful. Even if that means going to the games like this to stay out of trouble. :)

cefa13aa70027a8822cdc894da17c67f_zps5201fea2.jpg
[/IMG]

3ls Leftfield Lawnchair Lemonade (vodka spiked). Have your wife direct you as to how far down the line you go based on how car your voice carries. If you are so far down the line you are now watching a baseball game. Then you might need a different strategy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission