Is it or isn't it...all about the win?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Although winning is a great thing, I do not think it is the only thing. I think if your love for the game is strong enough, it shouldn't be about "winning or losing" it should be about having fun and learning to be a better athlete. (posted by my dd, as she was reading through this post with me)

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, GOINGDEEP, how far do you go to win? Do you cheat to win? Do you trip an opposing fielder? Do you lie to kids to get them on the team? While you were coaching 3B during a 12U game, would you make derogatory comments to the pitcher on the other team to upset her? Would you steal the star's teddy bear so you could win?

There will be only one true champion in the entire US. So, assuming your team doesn't win the ASA championship for your girls, are you going to tell the entire team, "Sorry, we suck. We're losers."

The true joy in sports is the pursuit of excellence. Winning is a by-product of that pursuit.

If you ever play a game for real, with real money and real consequences on the line, you learn the difference between "sport" and "work". And softball is sport.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2010
How far do I go to win? Depends. When I coached regular season rec ball. Not very. The purpose of rec ball was to build all the players. That meant sometimes putting a player in a position that was not their best and mistakes would happen. We would lose.

During tournament and now travel ball? To the limits of the rules. There is no room on my team for cheaters or poor sportsmanship. During a recent game the other team was chanting "Hey Piggy Piggy" and making pig noises every time my DD took the mound. It upset her and the team. I told them to not respond and answer with her arm and their bats. She struck out 13 of 16. The bats put up 12 runs. Mercy rule after 5. Afterwards they felt really good winning by taking the high road.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Some people win when they lose and some people lose when they win. Listen, I've had this belief that there are things a coach does that creates winners which, in turn, creates wins. I'll give an example. Say a coach looks the other way when the star player throws her helmet. They might win that game and they might have a winning season. I truly believe that when it comes down to crunch time in the state tournament that lack of discipline which by then has permeated throughout the team will cause some circumstance that causes them to lose to an inferior team. By the same reasoning, I believe that lesser teams that learn discipline and how to win will beat superior teams in this same manner. I believe this because I have coached these teams and played against those undiciplined superior teams. Players, Coaches and Parents have to all learn that winning is the by product of more important factors. JMHO!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So, GOINGDEEP, how far do you go to win? Do you cheat to win? Do you trip an opposing fielder? Do you lie to kids to get them on the team? While you were coaching 3B during a 12U game, would you make derogatory comments to the pitcher on the other team to upset her? Would you steal the star's teddy bear so you could win?

There will be only one true champion in the entire US. So, assuming your team doesn't win the ASA championship for your girls, are you going to tell the entire team, "Sorry, we suck. We're losers."

The true joy in sports is the pursuit of excellence. Winning is a by-product of that pursuit.

If you ever play a game for real, with real money and real consequences on the line, you learn the difference between "sport" and "work". And softball is sport.

Calm down Mr. Ray. My inspirational quotes were in humor. ( thus the smiley face at the end )

I would never ever say something or do something to a kid during a game to give my team an edge.

There are winners every weekend, all across this nation. Some just may not be totally ready for ASA Nationals. In baseball we called it the "pyramid". You start with good foundation then sharpen your skills until you reach the "point" ( 16/18 ASA Nationals )

As far as winning, we do not play 10 months out of the year, log in 100's of hours of practice, play close to 150 games, and spend 10's of 1000's of dollars to go somewhere and lose.

If winning doesn't matter............then why do we even keep score??????????????

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I really think it is all about how the game is won or lost. I would rather lose a game 1-0 or 2-1, than win a game 19-18. The loss, though heart-breaking, indicates that the teams played a well-pitched, well-defensed game, which is always a pleasure to watch. The win, though it may be exciting, indicates either poor pitching, poor defense, or both. Give me the well-played game anyday.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
GOINGDEEP, then you agree that winning isn't everything. You have moral standards that you follow which take precedence over winning. You believe that your own integrity is more important than winning a game. (By the way, I have seen a 30+ YOA 3rd base coach taunt a 12U pitcher. It was disgusting.)

I never said winning isn't important. I've won and I've lost. Winning is better.

Feb 9, 2009
(By the way, I have seen a 30+ YOA 3rd base coach taunt a 12U pitcher. It was disgusting.)

I will NEVER forget a game last year (I AM woman, after all) when my DD pitched an awesome 1-0 loss to a superior team. It really didn't feel like a loss...
The next day, we had to play the same team. The parents of the other team must've decided that the previous score was too close for comfort, because as soon as my DD stepped into the circle, the taunts began. From the parents. She was 9....and left the game in tears.
We play them next weekend for the first time since then.
Could be a fun time had by all....

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
The original question, "Is it all about the win?", hmmm, as others have touched on it, if what you mean by "all about the win" includes cheating, or harming your own players (pitching a pitcher when she's hurt) then that answer is easy, no way.

I agree with what others have said about why do we play, it's to win. I am a very competitive person, I often have to check that competitiveness at the door because I do realize not everything is a contest to be won or lost. I drive fast because I have to be the first one there, I play poker to win, at work I tried to be the best and win, so in softball that need to win and be the best is there. But it has to be there with limits, like others have said, don't compromise your values and definitely don't lose sight that these girls are just that, girls. I don't want to hurt anyone on the other team nor do I want to see my own kids get hurt, safety is paramount. It doesn't mean I don't take chances that could result in injury (moving my 3rd baseman up to defend the bunt for example). My responsibility as the coach is to make sure she is properly trained, has the right skills, and possesess the right equipment (facemask) to minimize injury.

I heard a coach say to me the other night that he had a practice game and he didn't care about winning so he was moving his girls around. I always care about winning, even when I do experiment with a girl in a new position, I want to win and I want kids who want to win. I realize that in the end we won't win every game, and if we do then I'm not challenging these girls enough. You could always enter softer tournaments and rack up a ton of wins but I also want to be the best and in doing so I need to challenge these girls to play the better teams. If I was only about the winning I could play alot of crappier teams and win. But in the end whenever we step on the field to play, its to win, regardless of who the other team is on the otherside of the diamond. I don't advocate running up the score to inferior teams but I do promote sound good play all in the effort to win.

sorry for the ramblings, had a data dump of alot of thoughts on the topic.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
There are two avenues to take with the question posed and I'll look to take both as currently I occupy both:
1. Coach perspective
2. Parent perspective

Coach Perspective:

Our 12U team is Little League, so as coaches we're charged with teaching the girls the proper fundamentals of play, SPORTSMANSHIP & by our league; to insure all players have fun. Some games will be competitve, others lopsided. At the end of the season, we are judged not just on wins v losses but did the entire roster improve their skills as a whole and did every girl overall have a good time. If yes, I was a success. In the past two seasons, I've had players not return the following season as they're skills improved enough for them to play at a higher level. Tells me we're doing something properly.

Parent perspectice:

DD, who is a pitcher, plays LL softball with our team as she wants to play with and against her friends. She is also on a 12U travel team. As a pitcher, if she throws more than 60% strikes, limits her walks and HBP, allows a few hits and her team does not score, they will lose. Did she or her team play poorly? Probably not, but the other team may have played just a bit better. When the team plays to it's potential and the other side scores 1 more run, you lose. It's part of the game and these close games even out in the long run.

Winning is nice but you learn more about the kids (and parents) if you come up just short sometimes. It's easy to be a good winner; not everyone is such a good person when on the other side.