Is holding players from scoring bad ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
florida
Well we are in a tournament . And played our last game that day . We came out ready to play. By the 2nd inning we were leading 11 to 0. There was no run rule till the 3rd inning. So i was holding my girls . Could tell parents were wondering what i was doing. The opposing coach told me thanks for what i was doing but , turn my girls loose. I did and we won 21 to 0. Yes it was a win , but i wonder what the other team learned. I dont like blow outs like that. Just wondering ever had this happen.?

Aug 10, 2010
My opinion--You did the right thing holding back. Of course this depends on the age group too(I am guessing younger). If it is older girls, a tough call as I have seen dramatic comebacks too. In situations like this what the parents think should not matter. Been in a few of these over the years and what we would do, was after scoring a couple each inning to give our batters some at bats, we would have runners on base leave too soon to be called out. I would never take the bat out of the hands of the batter and tell them to strike out though(I have seen that done too). It does little to totally wipe out an opposing team either for your team or the other team. just my 2 cents..

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
You did the right thing, if the other coach is cool, I'll hold some back and do walk offs.

I will also move my players around in positions they never play. The girls love that, it also shows them it's not as easy as it looks and gives some respect for when errors happen. ( and for the coaches and parents it is hilarious to watch them, like fish out of water )

We will also let girls pitch who are not "pitchers", but can throw good enough to take the rubber. Also to show it's not as easy as it looks.

But, if the other coach is an a$$, I will put my foot on the gas and not let up. :)

Nov 29, 2009
I've been on both sides of that situation. When it's apparent the other team is that much weaker I will stop stealing and aggressive base running. If the other team just can't get an out I will have runners leave early at 2nd base. When you talk to the kids after the game I find they hate those types of games as much as I do.

When we're getting stomped I always try to keep positive and look for little victories to take away from the game. The one thing I found is the quickest way to have your team quit is for you as the coach to give up on the game. Sitting in the dugout and sulking only makes things worse. After the game I don't sugar-coat the talk. I'll use it for talking points showing them just what we need to work on always stressing that it's a team effort.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I think its smarter to hold your girls back or have them leave the base early and get out in order to get the game over quicker . Then your girls will have more time to rest for the next game . Being 10 run ruled is a big enough show of force in my mind .

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Eliminate very aggressive base running like delay steals, maybe ease up on taking to many bases on overthrows, BUT do not make intentional outs to quicken game. the other team needs to learn and the best way and most painful way to learn is to play against better teams and try and make plays. If you make intentional outs they have no chance to improve.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
In rec ball, hold back.

In Competitive ball, let them go!

In either case, let kids play that don't usually get time on the dirt; let the #4 pitcher get some time in the circle; let the kid who's struggling at bat get some swings in...

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
DDs team was on both sides of this last weekend at a tournament. We got run ruled by a team on Saturday. They had a girl leave 3B early and get called out, another ran back to the dugout after what should have been a single. In general I would only do these things if the other team just can't get an out - although your heart is in the right place it can be insulting to the other team.

On Sunday we run ruled two teams in the consolation bracket. Once we had a big lead we stopped aggressive baserunning then eventually stopped advancing on passed balls and wild pitches.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sometimes you have to step off the base just to get the inning to end. I was coaching in a tournament once when a rec league all-star team decided they would see how they'd measure up against travel teams. It was ugly. In the first inning we were up by 20 runs (yes, you read that correctly). It was hot, and the poor opponents didn't look like they were ever going to get off the field. We finally stepped off the base to kill the inning. The other coach thanked me for doing it.

My assistant coach, on the other hand, was not happy. Our leadoff hitter was a double away from hitting for the cycle in one inning and he wanted to see her try. But we ended it before her fourth at bat. The next inning went a little better for them and they got three outs on their own. Eventually.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Some times the rules just don't allow you to "help" the other team. Last year our team played in a tournament where in order for pitchers to pitch in bracket play, they had to pitch 3 innings in pool play. And to make things even worse, you were seeded for bracket play by the number of runs given up. Our coach did everything he could to help the other teams without being too obvious. It hurt our girls on offense because they had to throttle back on their hitting and base running. The last game, the coach and umpire had words because our girls were not trying to score so the game would not be called by run rule. The coach told the umpire to certify his pitchers and he would end the game quickly. The ump did not even know the rules for this particular tournament. Needless to say, we will not play in this tournament again.

One thing that was encouraging was our girls were cheering the other teams on and several even gave some instructions on how to make a play or hit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Craig052