Weird scoring

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
At DD's tourney, I was waiting for her game to start and was watching the game playing on the field before. I pulled up GC for one team to just see the score of the game. I knew at the moment their opponent was up to bat but when I looked at the plays, it showed the other team had finished batting. And they had scored that all three outs were just ground balls on one pitch. So that was already confusing. I looked earlier in the game - and same thing for the inning before that.
Then I did go and check the game they played before and same stuff. And it showed they had won 2-0. I checked the other team's GC and and the score actually was like 6-2.
They ended up doing that same thing in their next game that day. But the score was 0-0 when in fact the other team had won that game too.
These were showcase games so in all fairness didn't matter. Bracket the next day was all blind draw so wins/losses in these had no bearing.
So whatever - I don't care if you flub your wins/losses. But at least record what really happened? Who does this benefit to only score your offense?
So if your pitcher strikes out everyone - wouldn't you want those stats?
Why keep stats at all if they're going to be so incorrect?
Even the team that went and doctored their scores still had all of the real stats of the game.

They did score correctly for the actual bracket game the next day so...I don't know.
Just odd...

Jun 20, 2015
likely done to minimize bad, maximize the good to casual observers. IE Pitcher better than normal ERA.

garbage in = garbage out on game changer.

The really fun ones to review are check your own GC results, versus your opponent's GC . errors, passed balls, wild pitches, Hit vs ROE, etc.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
likely done to minimize bad, maximize the good to casual observers. IE Pitcher better than normal ERA.

garbage in = garbage out on game changer.

The really fun ones to review are check your own GC results, versus your opponent's GC . errors, passed balls, wild pitches, Hit vs ROE, etc.
Just had this experience this weekend. There were three obvious fielding errors (ball through legs at 2B, booted ball at SS, and a dropped line drive in the glove by CF) by our team and possible fourth that I didn't score an error because the ball got on the SS quick and took a pretty bad hop. She stopped it, but no play. Still, 3 errors and far from our finest hour defensively. Other team gave themselves hits on 2 of the 3 errors. As you say, garbage in=garbage out. If you strive to score the game "correctly"--recognizing that there will always be a judgment call or two per game--you can learn some pretty interesting things about your team from the data. Otherwise why even bother.

May 18, 2022
It could have been someones first time using it and they were practicing on a games that didn't matter, or someone let their kid run it who knows. I know when I've run GC for teams my son or daughter have played on, GC isn't the official record, so it really it didn't matter for stats. I try to be as accurate as possible but I have screwed up innings because I got immersed in a play and ended up scoring a inning weird just to get caught up (backing up and trying to correct just makes it catching up harder).

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I actually saw the lady who was doing it - and at the end of the game - I heard her asking what the score was ;)
The team they were playing didn't have a GC that I could find and for pool play, none of the scores were entered on the tournament website.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I don't waste time worrying about my own DD's team's GC, much less someone else's.
I do check teams we play just to kind of gauge how they are. Esp if they've played a team we've also played. But it really helps to have an accurate score keeper ;) Checking this team - I'd be like - whoa - so many no hitters and so efficient! These pitchers are amazing! Can't strike anyone out though ;)

May 27, 2013
I do check teams we play just to kind of gauge how they are. Esp if they've played a team we've also played. But it really helps to have an accurate score keeper ;) Checking this team - I'd be like - whoa - so many no hitters and so efficient! These pitchers are amazing! Can't strike anyone out though ;)

Agreed. I used to use it as a “scouting” tool when we were looking to join a travel team or to see how a team we were scheduled to play has been doing. Always took it with a grain of salt because you never know who is doing the scoring but typically the teams we played did a decent job with a few rare exceptions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles