Is crow hopping now legal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
May 18, 2019
Guidance I was given in the CIF rules meeting:
1) 99.9pct of what folks will think is an illegal pitch, will not be an illegal pitch.
2) The pivot foot not being on the pitching plate at the start of the pitch is an illegal pitch.
3) Watch the non-pivot foot moving again after landing to help determine if a pitch is illegal.
4) Make sure you use the verbiage from the rule when explaining why a pitch is legal or illegal.
Super helpful...thank you. The 99.9% doesn't really make sense to me unless all those people are confused about the now legal leap. The first two slides were clear but the last one is more confusing. Seems like the words impetus and replant are the key in regards to the pivot foot after the initial push off the rubber. I really think they need a set of good and broadly distributed videos to make this clear because it's a cluster right now and isn't going to go well.

May 18, 2019
In particular can anyone explain the second bullet here? I genuinely have no idea if that is somehow discussing an initial push, something happening in the air or during toe drag or legal actions when the foot comes back down but doesn't replant.
IMG_4001.png

Jan 1, 2024
Why didn't they just say the back foot cannot come into contact with the ground prior to the front foot, would have been so simple. Or just say the ball has to be thrown underhanded from a pitching rubber x foot from home plate, and let it go.
I understand your point, but it seems this description would make dragging the back foot illegal.

May 13, 2023
In particular can anyone explain the second bullet here? I genuinely have no idea if that is somehow discussing an initial push, something happening in the air or during toe drag or legal actions when the foot comes back down but doesn't replant.
View attachment 29349
🤷‍♀️ since there is no mention of toe drag.
Me 🙂Going with...toe drag irrelevant!
it is describing where their mechanic is taking their leg/foot.

I saw that bullet point as interesting! they added the varying mechanics. Perhaps in an effort to trim down the Boggle on this? But as always just created more Boggle LOL

May 29, 2015
View attachment 29349

Well, yeah . . . it's . . . uh . . . you see . . . the hip . . . and then the pivot . . . pivots . . . but then . . . the . . . push . . .

bee775e1-4763-4c4b-9785-9e7dd0ccfd7e_text.gif

Jan 22, 2011
Here is video of my DD pitching when she was 8. Her pivot foot moves before she releases the ball (delivers the pitch), but her non-pivot foot does not move after it lands. I think the second bullet is trying to say that is legal. All the previous threads on "crow hops" were focused on the pivot foot landing and pushing off again. I haven't bought the 2024 NFHS rulebook yet, but someone mentioned in one of these threads that "crow-hop" is not mentioned in the 2024 NFHS rulebook.

This is likely why the CIF rules interpretation call I was on said to watch the non-pivot foot.

May 18, 2019
Here is video of my DD pitching when she was 8. Her pivot foot moves before she releases the ball (delivers the pitch), but her non-pivot foot does not move after it lands. I think the second bullet is trying to say that is legal. All the previous threads on "crow hops" were focused on the pivot foot landing and pushing off again. I haven't
Here is video of my DD pitching when she was 8. Her pivot foot moves before she releases the ball (delivers the pitch), but her non-pivot foot does not move after it lands. I think the second bullet is trying to say that is legal. All the previous threads on "crow hops" were focused on the pivot foot landing and pushing off again. I haven't bought the 2024 NFHS rulebook yet, but someone mentioned in one of these threads that "crow-hop" is not mentioned in the 2024 NFHS rulebook.

This is likely why the CIF rules interpretation call I was on said to watch the non-pivot foot.

bought the 2024 NFHS rulebook yet, but someone mentioned in one of these threads that "crow-hop" is not mentioned in the 2024 NFHS rulebook.

Love the video...I'm still confused though on the non pivot foot...I'm trying to imagine a scenario where moving that after planting it would create an advantage without another push from the pivot foot. In terms of that second bullet it seems an unecceasary clarification but I suspect there is some logical hole I'm not thinking about that it plugs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi