Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In baseball I agree with Gunner, the math has been done and you're run expectancy always goes down when a team bunts. That said even in baseball there are times when a bunt is a smart play - that is really weak hitter like the pitcher, or bunting a runner from 2nd to 3rd to give you 2 chances to score a run without a base hit when it will win the game.

I don't know if the math has been done on softball but with the prevalence of "hot bats" and girls being able to make softball fields look small I suspect the math is similar at least for high level older softball.

But given that SB bases are 60' and baseball bases are 90' I can see areas where fast runners who are also skilled bunters can absolutely exploit the bunt for base hit as a weapon and several very good examples from recent WCWS highlight that point.

Jun 11, 2013
I don't like to bunt much but it's great to be able to do it when you need to. Run probabilities are based on aggregate data and I agree with the math until the time comes when I only need 1 run to win.

May 23, 2015
Every single out you give up is a detriment to your success regardless of how you give them up. Giving them up willingly makes no sense.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Every single out you give up is a detriment to your success regardless of how you give them up.
So perhaps its better to bunt than hit into a double play.
Bunts can be double plays, more rare tho.

Strategy with bunting is utilized by the type of line up.
Or situation with the line up.
Looking at the pitcher/defense.
Its a skillset that creates options.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Every single out you give up is a detriment to your success regardless of how you give them up. Giving them up willingly makes no sense.

So a squeeze bunt that scores a run but costs an out doesn’t make sense? Especially in a close game against a dominant pitcher where your team is struggling to get hits?

May 23, 2015
So a squeeze bunt that scores a run but costs an out doesn’t make sense? Especially in a close game against a dominant pitcher where your team is struggling to get hits?
Thats nothing but speculation. Cant live in the world of ifs. You'll lose every time

The likelihood of a dominant playing for a well coached team with a strong defense has to be taken into consideration also.

You still have a verified batting average to deal with. A .300 hitter doesn't turn into a .500 hitter because they're laying a bunt.

A pitcher who's aware of a bunt situation can't be taken lightly either. There are a lot of strikes that are nearly impossible to bunt

Its not as easy as running a squeeze and grabbing a trophy. Players that I work with are full aware of how to deek a runner trying to score

Roll the dice

May 27, 2013
Its not as easy as running a squeeze and grabbing a trophy. Players that I work with are full aware of how to deek a runner trying to score

Hmmm.....it’s too bad then that we don’t play for trophies. We run the squeeze very successfully - against extremely well-coached, disciplined defenses. We tend to play many of the same teams every season as the pool gets smaller the closer you get to the top. Many even know it’s coming as they know our coach very well and what he calls. We are still more successful with it than we aren’t successful with it.

Jun 26, 2020
Every coach on Earth prays for that scenario. If your team's struggling against a pitcher you have bigger problems. 5 bunts won't save you. I've even seen coaches tell their batters to take pitches hoping for a walk to get base runners. A dominant pitcher doesn't change gears when a batter wants them to

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez