Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
We bunt quite often, especially is squeeze situations in close games or if we figure out the pitcher can’t field her position well. We played against a D1 commit pitcher who we knew was a terrible fielder. Bunted like crazy right to her. They had to pull her from the game because she’d either miss it or overthrow it to 1B.

Our slappers are very good “push bunters,“ too. They have the ability to bunt it hard right past 3B and 1B as they are crashing.

May 29, 2015
I don’t know @GunnerShotgun ... I’ve seen quite a bit of “bunt until they defend it” at higher levels that resulted in surprising amounts of bunting (and not defending).

Of course, it is situational ...

You say you are not better off bunting from a run point of view, but I think that is misleading. Typically you are bunting strategically for A RUN, not multiple runs. So yes, bunting will produce less runs.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We bunt quite often, especially is squeeze situations in close games or if we figure out the pitcher can’t field her position well. We played against a D1 commit pitcher who we knew was a terrible fielder. Bunted like crazy right to her. They had to pull her from the game because she’d either miss it or overthrow it to 1B.

Our slappers are very good “push bunters,“ too. They have the ability to bunt it hard right past 3B and 1B as they are crashing.
Like it! Puts pressure on the pitcher/defense.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I wish Dusty Baker knew about this old school thing called bunting! Now that the MLB instituted ITB in extra innings where a runner starts on 2nd with 0 outs. Bunt your runner over and have 2 outs to get him to cross the plate. The small ball game put pressure on a defense and can reveal weaknesses and tendencies in coverages.

When I see a team start bunting a lot and our team cannot defend it, I call it "Death by Small Ball." You know what bothers more than anything? When a kid can't lay down a sac bunt. They try to get fancy and do a sneaky bunt which results in a pop up or 2 foul balls which ends up in K.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When the fast runner zooooms past the ability of the defense.
Fielding grounders is one thing.
Range is another.
Speed against quickness.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020
I ran into a former HS player at a tournament who graduated from a Big 10 school this year. She had just gotten a job at a midwest college as an assistant coach. We spoke for several minutes on the state of our HS program, and game strategy we play. Near the end of our conversation she flat out said "and don't waste outs bunting".

I've always believed in small ball as a weapon. Is this now considered "old softball"?
I wouldn’t say bunting is old school. I would say it’s a crafty way to try and manufacture runs when your not hitting well.
My philosophy is everyone needs to know how to bunt and bunt well. If necessary my #3, 4 hitters will lay down a bunt. You only have 21 outs to play with in most cases (barring run rule, extra innings) so I’m not giving any back.
When we bunt we bunt with the intent of getting an infield hit. Always try to bunt down the 1st & 3rd base line, move the runner and beat out the throw to 1st.
A well executed/placed bunt can’t be defended. Especially when the defense isn’t expecting a bunt. I much prefer a drag bunt to slapping. JMO.

May 4, 2020
Correct. You don't want your team in a position to rely on dinks to win a game.
You do if your facing a dominate pitcher and can’t muster any hits. Bunting can rattle the pitcher/infield and humble them some.
I really don’t like to give in and give the opposing pitcher too much respect and start bunting on a regular basis. But there are days where she is on and you are off and you gotta get creative to “steal” a game.

Feb 15, 2017
I don’t know @GunnerShotgun ... I’ve seen quite a bit of “bunt until they defend it” at higher levels that resulted in surprising amounts of bunting (and not defending).

Of course, it is situational ...

You say you are not better off bunting from a run point of view, but I think that is misleading. Typically you are bunting strategically for A RUN, not multiple runs. So yes, bunting will produce less runs.
I remember Bama beating Florida because Barnhill couldn't field a bunt. I was there.

And at what level of play was the math calculated from?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee