IR1, IR2, and IR3 Getting better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Calling bs means calling bs...how can that possibly mean " come on buddy discuss this" good pitching coaches or not these posts are ridiculous. Bring slingit1 back he told the truth and broke down pitching very well. Ridiculous. BM must be doing his Bill Clinton impersonation... The famous definition of what is "is".

SMH

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Using BM definition of "calling BS"...I hereby "call BS":

If a person who successfully participates in international athletic competition at the highest level for his/her chosen sport is not a "world class athlete", then who is?

Because world class athletes don't play softball

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Rick Pauly has been very gracious with his time and resources in helping me as a coach and my students. BM and Bill Hillhouse have been great in helping me develop my understanding and a philosophy so to speak but Rick has been the mechanic helping me move from understanding to practical application.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Back to the original thread then.

The truth is to much of an optimistic opinion should not come based on the video. I think this is what Bill Hillhouse was alluding too.

What do these students look like and how does the drill translate to an actual pitching motion. They may connect...they mat not.

#1 seems most ready. Balanced, sequenced, nice flow.

#2 very hard to tell what this will look like with a real pitch based on the body movement, lean and rotation.

#3 As you mentioned this one is newest to things. Progress with this player to me will be when the forearm rotates naturally and smoothly and not pushed and muscled. That is what I would be looking for.

So you seem to have them in the right order and based on your good focus it may well work out for all of them. But, it won't be easy.

I always compare a full pitch (or swing) with a drill like you have captured. It lets me know if the movement is actually translating.

Jul 14, 2008
Excellent Use of the phrase "I call BS"........

Using BM's definition of "calling BS"...I hereby "call BS":

If a person who successfully participates in international athletic competition at the highest level for his/her chosen sport is not a "world class athlete", then who is?

You're doing a good job Willy........If #1 is the goal........And you can get #'s 2 and 3 to the same spot......Stay the course......

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Thanks BM, eight weeks ago approximately I was doing all the usual drills to develop a bowling/pushing type pitcher. I was pretty good at it unfortunately. A girl can be successful in HS with that style because, all-in-all, the batters are about as well trained. So eight weeks ago I told IR1, who was a terrible wrist flipping pitcher and I had started working with in Aug, we're taking a different path. I really think that using the whipping IR movement is the quickest way to get a girl throwing strikes and having some movement on her pitches. Before I would think...this is going to take years...just to be successful...we won't even talk about dominate. Now, as long as we're in the off season, I figure I can have a dedicated girl up and running in a matter of four to six months.

And for those still reading, right or wrong, I work backwards through the pitching chain. We have started dry leaping some, working on angles but until they've demonstrated a consistent spin RPS and axis doing a full circle throw with a nice whip I won't let them leap and throw at the same time. Too much going on in their minds and everything starts to break down. Nice way to break up the practice as well, circles, leaps, circles, leap. In another month or two I'll marry the two together.

By the way, I had the school purchase a RevFire, both IR1 and 2 are throwing close to 15rps from the 12:00 drill. Radar is putting both a little over 40mph from the 12:00 as well. IR2 as I mentioned earlier came alive in these last two days, something just clicked.

Last edited:

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
Just some insight from my experience : have I changed my approach to teaching the past 13 years ? Of course, it's a constant learning process? yes, good instructors always will be flexible and adapt. Each student is different, some things work for some and not others. Do all the pitchers bring their glove and hand up together? most men do, some girls do but most find the timing is better with the back swing. Are female pitchers able to use finger pressure to make the ball break ? Some can that have high spin rates, strong fingers, ect, most are not capable. In addition to the drop do we need to be able to teach curves, drop curves, and screws? Yes, some pitchers thrive on throwing one or more of these pitches. Do high level pitchers throw one or more of these pitches? Yes, most do.
Some pitchers want to know the why, it is okay to explain and use the term I/R? Sure, what's the harm.
Do we now we use high speed video, Revfire, and other tools while teaching? Yes, most instructors will.
When a pitcher goes to a D-1 clinic for exposure, what does the coach want to see? Yes, drop, curve, screw, change and rise.
I think Rick Pauly has the right approach, he teaches all these pitches and has great tips on throwing the drop. BM is so good he should have his own video. Learning so much on here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish