IR1, IR2, and IR3 Getting better

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Frozen, if I may, I'd like to counter this argument for the sake of discussion.

Bill, I'm starting to think you dislike me. I didn't mean to step on any toes here. If your point to me was that kids CAN learn to pitch with the proper mechanics without being shown how...then I'll agree. You're obviously living proof. I just don't believe that it's the best way to approach teaching a young athlete how to perform the windmill pitch. Why leave it up to them to figure it out on their own? In my limited experience, I've seen enough "proof" to convince me that there is a better way.

And for the record...my daughter has never even heard of the term "I/R". She never heard me use any anatomical terms. We refer to elbows, wrists, upper arm and lower arm. We talk about bending, turning, and twisting, not adduction, supination, and flexion. I like to put things into terms a 10/11 year old can relate to.....so the point of those that are suggesting the "KISS" method, I couldn't agree more. You CAN teach the high level motion without making it excessively confusing. The point I was making in my original post that you responded to is that it's not something that's just going to happen automatically for the vast majority of kids. It's not "Natural". When I say natural, I'm not referring to the biomechanical motions of the body. I'm talking about the act of throwing a ball underhand.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Hey everyone...how about my IR1, IR2 and IR3 getting better! :D

Talk about a post getting high jacked!

Some days I think I could post about which color of dirt is best on a ball field and eventually the thread would evolve into a discussion about HE, IR, who's right, who's wrong, he meant this, he said that, we're friends, you're crazy.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
This one I'm excited about, only her second day. The first day easily had 6 or 7 pitches with nice velocity, spin axis, and RPS, this video is day two of her. She'll have this down in no time. I could detail out what she needs to do but not necessary, just a great day two for her

Back to the original post. For this pitcher, I believe she has the arm bend wrong. She starts out with a very bent arm and then straightens it more on the downswing. You want the opposite. I would start at 12:00 with a more straight arm (but not completely straight) and as she comes down the circle the arm becomes more bent as she "drop's it in the slot" during the arm whip. Said another way, you want a bigger arm circle before the actual whip. In general, good job working on the basic arm whip mechanics since this is the most important aspect of windmill pitching.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Thanks Rocket, this was day two for her, maybe hour two as well. I'll post another of her in a month like I did with IR1. IR2, in just these past two days has come alive with her whip and rotation. I was worried about her but today I told her she was amazing. Spin axis and velocity were both great, we just need better spin for movement. I'll get a good shot of her tomorrow and post.

I had hoped to use this thread to chart their progress for other budding PCs (Dads and Moms as well) but that went to pot as a war broke out about he said she said. Dang.

Jul 17, 2012

Some days I think I could post about which color of dirt is best on a ball field and eventually the thread would evolve into a discussion about HE, IR, who's right, who's wrong, he meant this, he said that, we're friends, you're crazy.

LoL... I went back to the original posts and didn't see you asking for any feedback?? What exactly are you looking for?

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Bill, thx for the response. The statement "I call BS" is NOTHING LIKE calling someone a liar. It's a friendly way of saying "hey, there's some stuff here I don't agree with"..........But I digress.......

Anyway........I TOTALLY agree with you. If you have a kid who can't even figure out if they are left handed or right handed.......I/R is the LAST THING they should be worrying about!

So I guess my bottom line is that once you figure which hand they should use to "throw the ball".......The very next thing you should do is "teach them to throw the ball correctly"..........Using proper grip and fundamentally sound arm/body mechanics. Or at least make sure they do it fundamentally "naturally"..........

I just don't get how anyone can take a kid and throw her out on the field in any position without a FUNDAMENTAL understanding of how to throw a ball properly..........Overhand OR underhand..........

And I don't understand how anyone (not you specifically) believes that if you teach a kid to "shuffle" before teaching them to "throw", that somehow knowing how to "shuffle" will lead to "naturally figuring out" how to throw.........It makes no sense to me.........And even if it did........Why would we take that path when we know how to avoid the pitfalls of being "self-taught"............

Anyway, I'm glad to hear to don't "disagree" with training I/R........I actually didn't think you did.........But saying that the best in the world figured it out on their own is not a validation that something we know they do/did shouldn't be taught........When we know how to teach it........Which I understand you agree with.........

Best Regards........Of course........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJ21kBKgmw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal

A lot of thread drift. I'm just a bucket dad who tries not to screw up too much and a rec coach who sees a lot of not so good pitching so I'll refrain commenting on the 3 ladies posted other than to say all 3 look like they are on the right path and love the camera you have. Some day I may make the investment.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Hillhouse says you don't have to train ir boardmember..his videos don't address ball position or the arm at all really...so obviously if he thought you had to train the arm he would show it in his vids ... why do you need all these goofy posts back and forth. The short story is Bm says train the arm BH says you don't have to train IR and ir comes naturally. Case closed.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Willy,

Personally, I think she's well on the way to a good whip. However, I think she needs a looser hand/wrist action and a little more brush-interference. Her's stays very set as if completely fixed. Rick Pauly is a good person to ask about the "Stop Arm" drill. It greatly helps get more of a flick/snap out of the energy transfer from fingers to ball from the whip action.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Using BM's definition of "calling BS"...I hereby "call BS":

And I absolutely was not a world class athlete.

If a person who successfully participates in international athletic competition at the highest level for his/her chosen sport is not a "world class athlete", then who is?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd