IR style pc in northern nj /ny area?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Apologies for just getting back to this. "Training" wheels are dangerous and a gimmick that appeals to unknowing adults. The result is not due to the training wheels. Same with HE and slamming the door. They may provide desirable results to the adult, but are a future hurdle for the pitcher. Both may be overcome and the individual can get to the desired result, but it is in spite of the perception of what really happens.

Really off topic--here's how to teach a toddler to ride a bike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B92R3ayO32k

No need to buy one of the fancy push bikes. Just take a well fitted bike: lower the seat so the feet stand comfortably flat and the take the pedals off. Most first bikes are way too big for kids.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Really off topic--here's how to teach a toddler to ride a bike:
Sophia rides her balance bike - YouTube

No need to buy one of the fancy push bikes. Just take a well fitted bike: lower the seat so the feet stand comfortably flat and the take the pedals off. Most first bikes are way too big for kids.

So, you are saying use run throughs to teach a kid to ride a bike then. Ok, will give that a shot.

As far as pitching goes. I don't get teaching them wrong first so you can then teach them to do it right. It seems that every pitch you learn off the wrong sequence will have to be relearned.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I am not a pitcher so can only comment on this from the perspective of my DD's experience. I think that it is true that some girls will develop IR naturally- no matter what they are taught. I have seen this in action. My guess is that these pitchers find a mechanic that "feels right" then settle into it with good results and minimal changes over time- they are natural pitchers, natural athletes whatever. Then you have others (this is my DD), who have to think about what they do - My DD tries to follow what she is told, to the "T". If someone wants her to do HE- then that is what she is going to do. I have done the experiment with her. I found someone who teaches IR, but they are far from us so after almost a year of traveling I tried to find another instructor closer to me- and took my DD to this instructor with the caveat of just ignoring the "HE" part of what they tell you to do - unfortunately, they noticed DD did not do HE follow through and started to focus on it. My DD could not "just ignore it"- even though she knew that this was not an effective or efficient mechanic. It was a bad idea for her just to hear this instruction- which wormed its way back into her mechanics and obviously, set her back. SO while I think the approach of teaching one way and then converting to another, may work for some girls, it will create problems for others IMO. I think the students would be best served by getting it right the first time.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
I am not a pitcher so can only comment on this from the perspective of my DD's experience. I think that it is true that some girls will develop IR naturally- no matter what they are taught. I have seen this in action. My guess is that these pitchers find a mechanic that "feels right" then settle into it with good results and minimal changes over time- they are natural pitchers, natural athletes whatever. Then you have others (this is my DD), who have to think about what they do - My DD tries to follow what she is told, to the "T". If someone wants her to do HE- then that is what she is going to do. I have done the experiment with her. I found someone who teaches IR, but they are far from us so after almost a year of traveling I tried to find another instructor closer to me- and took my DD to this instructor with the caveat of just ignoring the "HE" part of what they tell you to do - unfortunately, they noticed DD did not do HE follow through and started to focus on it. My DD could not "just ignore it"- even though she knew that this was not an effective or efficient mechanic. It was a bad idea for her just to hear this instruction- which wormed its way back into her mechanics and obviously, set her back. SO while I think the approach of teaching one way and then converting to another, may work for some girls, it will create problems for others IMO. I think the students would be best served by getting it right the first time.

In my experience this is more the rule than the exception. Young ladies are eager to please their coaches and parents, after all, we drill into them to be coachable. We reward them when they do exactly as asked. It is the PC's job to teach correct mechanics and ultimately the parents job to make sure the instruction they receive is accurate to the best of our abilities

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
So, you are saying use run throughs to teach a kid to ride a bike then. Ok, will give that a shot.

Ha! Run throughs are terribly dangerous and can result in bonknthanogginous. Walk throughs when learning to ride a bike...

To clarify on my suggestion that HE/bowling and slamming the door are dangerous: this is a completely parroted opinion. I honestly have nothing to back up anything of the sort and would defer to experts to confirm or refute my blab.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd