IR style pc in northern nj /ny area?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 2, 2012
Was wonder if anyone know of a pc that uses the IR stlye in northern nj/ new York area. Only see hello elbow style here.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Might be good to meet with several and pick the best. No one will be perfect and you may have to ask your daughter to smile and nod on some things.

Dec 29, 2010
What part of ny/nj are you talking about? Haven't seen h.e. style here, I mean I've seen some pc teach this but not a whole lot. Is this for a beginner? Ask varsity coaches or inquire at nearby colleges to see if their students will instruct, everyone needs income.

Jan 25, 2011
look up Carly on here she is PC and posts here often, she would be a good start and might just me the one your looking for if you guys are close to each other.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I think finch teaches HE

She teaches HE but does not throw it. We have been to her camps and she tells girls to learn HE but off to the side her and her dad will both say that HE only sets the table. Girls will always modify as they gain experience. By the time they are throwing junk HE is gone and IR is what gets developed through the experience. Too many bad habits can be installed when staying open to throw IR.

My DD is a baton twirler and has great body and wrist control which gave her the IR edge on all in this area. It is a wonderful sport for pitchers as it has built in precision, underhand motion and teaches athletes the imprortance of cool under pressure.

Sep 3, 2009
Was wonder if anyone know of a pc that uses the IR stlye in northern nj/ new York area. Only see hello elbow style here.

First off, IR is more of an absolute than it is a style. Good luck finding an instructor around the area that understands that. I'm an hour north of NYC and have yet to find one within a 60 mile radius and have tried a bunch of 'em. I would suggest finding an instructor that you and your daughter are comfortable with and then just have her do the smile and nod thing when they tell her to finish with her hand towards the throwing shoulder instead of across the body, or be up front with said instructor and tell them one on one that you would rather they leave your daughter's follow through alone and work on other things. If they don't see why just tell them you have done lots of research and have noticed that very few high level pitchers finish towards the throwing shoulder, and even those do it "un-naturally", in that they force the arm into that position long after release.

If any instructor reading this IS in my area (not far from Danbury CT or Poughkeepsie NY) and you "get" it then by all means send me a PM! :D

Aug 21, 2008
Etdad, I don't normally do this but if you're willing to drive a bit... Darren Rea at Pro Prospects Training in Monticello. Yes, I realize Monticello is a ways from NYC but your alternative is finding a coach that may not teach what you're wanting. As I wrote in my newsletter (shameless plug) last week, there's 2 types of parents when it comes to this: the one that will drive anywhere or go any distance for a quality instructor. And type 2 that will scoff at driving 30-60 miles thinking you'll get someone closer.

Darren is a buddy of mine, originally from New Zealand. I'm sure your DD will like hearing his accent! He's played fastpitch softball at the top level in the world. In full disclosure, I've never seen Darren coach so I cannot speak to his coaching ability or how he relates to the girls. I can only tell you that he's "been there, done that" and there's no way he'd be teaching "HE".

Gbucz... what you wrote is incredible. Teaching "HE" then "modifying" what they teach as they get older???? With all due respect, I hope that's not true and you're mistaken. I cannot imagine how frustrating that would be for a young girl to have to UNLEARN the "HE" stuff after years of doing it. Whether someone agrees with the HE method or not, teaching someone one way then 'modifying' it when they get older is going to be harder sounds like an absolute nightmare. Why do the HE at all? I'm unable to understand why they think this would be a good way to get started, then to change it. May I ask, where in Western NY are you located? PM if you'd like, I'm just curious. PM it if you'd like, I'll try not to wait 2 weeks before I get to see it.

Bill

Sep 3, 2009
Too many bad habits can be installed when staying open to throw IR.

Gbucz, please elaborate on this because I think you are 180 degrees off on this one. IMO too many bad habits can come from being taught "contrary" to the natural way of throwing a softball underhand (I/R).

I do agree that good pitchers will develop natural IR motion from experience, but some won't, and why should we slow a young pitcher's development by not teaching it right from the get-go?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish