Internal Rotation, Frame by Frame

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2014
Could one of you great posters please post a frame by frame example of the perfect fastball thrown utilizing internal rotation? Yes, i've read all of the IR threads (over and over) and have also watched/read many, many different versions. What im looking for is the complete motion in one post, preferably still shots of each aspect at critical points in the motion.

A few weeks ago we switched and started working on IR with my DD. Four months of work with a PC teaching HE showed very little promise and then just a few weeks of IR and the results are unbelievable. The scary part is, we're not even close to having it down and i would say theres easily a 100% plus improvement. Two weeks ago the PC was ok with trying it out but she destroyed my DD on Sunday. We had a tournament this weekend and my DD pitched 2 innings, unfortunately she hit two batters but also struck out 6. She was so excited to see her PC and tell her about her success but within 10 minutes of pitching practice the PC was all over her.

"Thats not a fastball, thats a drop curve" is what my DD heard over and over and over. She began to explain to her that the ball facing home at 12:00, the unlocked elbow, the pinky leading, the finish across her body was wrong.....wrong....wrong. Now, my DD does have a tenancy to come over the top a little, causing more of a 11-5 spin rather than a 12-6, she also has a tenancy to finish low across her body (waste) rather than high but like i said, were a few weeks into the process so the consistency isnt quite there. My DD was so confused as she has been working hard on everything for weeks now, seen a huge improvement in her game and suddenly its all wrong. The PC even scared her talking about throwing her shoulder out this way and never finding success with this style.....................Needless to say by this time im no longer sitting on my bucket and practice is over!

Ive spent 3 days since then calling every pitching coach i could find in Oklahoma and not one teaches IR. While i am probably done with this coach, i dont feel i can teach my daughter as well as she deserves. While i find a solution, i would like to continue working on IR but there are certain things that im missing or not able to put together. I've read all of the IR threads, seen all the breakdowns but seeing a complete breakdown of the full motion from the same pitcher may help answer some of the inbetween questions (ball location, arm location, etc..etc..) we have. That type of breakdown will not only fill in some blanks for me, but may allow me to show it to a PC and get them to understand. If i show some of the clips i've found on here, their response is always "thats not a fastball", blah, blah.

Anyone have such a breakdown of the complete pitch?

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
The amanda Scarborough video is great as well. Not stills, but super slo mo. Rick has some very good super slo mo of Sarah as well.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Okie, there are two parts to the IR. The first is the view of the arm and hand up until release. The second is the hand at release. The Scarborough video has a very good view of the side. However, if you want "true perfection" of the release and follow through, then you have to go with Yukiko Ueno. Watch the video from 18 secs to 21 secs.

[video=youtube_share;5n2hddAXrvY]http://youtu.be/5n2hddAXrvY[/video]

Oct 22, 2009
This is a screen shot of a sequence I hand out to new students.
It's Ueno and Scarborough
IR pics.jpg

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
the clips and stills are good, I would encourage you to use images and video to communicate instead of I/R or internal rotation. These are specific terms that we use on this board regarding this motion but it is an application of a general term used to describe any body part that is rotating towards the body. For instance, when hitting, the rear leg uses I/R as part of the lower body motion. Just show a clip and say "do you teach this?"

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
"Thats not a fastball, thats a drop curve" is what my DD heard over and over and over. She began to explain to her that the ball facing home at 12:00, the unlocked elbow, the pinky leading, the finish across her body was wrong.....wrong....wrong. Now, my DD does have a tenancy to come over the top a little, causing more of a 11-5 spin rather than a 12-6, she also has a tenancy to finish low across her body (waste) rather than high but like i said, were a few weeks into the process so the consistency isnt quite there. My DD was so confused as she has been working hard on everything for weeks now, seen a huge improvement in her game and suddenly its all wrong. The PC even scared her talking about throwing her shoulder out this way and never finding success with this style.....................Needless to say by this time im no longer sitting on my bucket and practice is over!

She needs to start getting the ball to spin on a 1-7 or 2-8. To do that, she will have to feel what you are seeing in the frames below. It's a cutting or biting against the rotation of the arm. It will be a significant moment for your daughter when she gets this spin.

From BM: Internal rotation is STILL going on.......but the thumb comes off earlier, when the ball is still slightly orientated slightly outside the wrist. When this happens, the spin will result in "inward/forward rotation", or from the mound, approx. an 8-2 axis of the 6-12 rotation.........The Result, is a "bite" inward/downward under the hands..............

5938d1401909752-internal-rotation-frame-frame-ir-pics.jpg

You will probably have to piece together what you are looking for as far as a step by step visual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06