Interesting Events Going Down at the LLSBWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
From the USA Today:

Little League Inc. reported revenue of almost $25 million and assets of more than $85 million in 2012, according to the most recent publicly available tax return it must file to maintain tax-exempt status as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Over a five-year period, compensation for Little League Inc.'s CEO, Steve Keener, nearly doubled to $430,000 a year. And in 2012, the 100-person full-time staff made almost $7.5 million in salaries —​

Jul 4, 2012
How does anyone know if the coach said... "hey, Sally, Sue and Jenny have been subs since this whole thing began a month or two ago, what do you say we let them start? You three starters have gotten a lot of playing time; you interested in making their day with me?" Someone said game changer only recorded 4 k's. Doesn't spell out throwing at bats to me.

May 13, 2012
I look back at the discussions on here about playing or not playing the clock in a timed TB game. Some would say the clock is part of the game so manage it accordingly in your favor with in the rules. Others say play like there isn't a clock until time runs out. I see the same here, the coach manged the game within the rules to his advantage. I dont like or agree with him but he used the bracket/pitching/etc rules to his advantage.

Aug 20, 2013
Hmmm...I can say without a doubt that I've witnessed LL organizations with travel teams in my area as well but I don't see them as cheaying as much as trying to improve their players. When they play little league, they are all spread out onto different teams. By establishing the normal all star team as a travel team, they get to work together year round and improve by playing tougher competition. The current junior ws champions played some travel tournaments leading up to their ws run. What rule prevents them from doing that? Tbh, they were very avg in the travel tournaments, but blew everyone away at the LLWS.
Yes, there is definitely a rule against it, and some LL teams will go to great lengths to skirt it. Many of these LL teams are TB teams that are tightly affiliated with the LL organization. They play as a team in TB and LL, coaches are the same, the TB team practices at the LL complex year round, etc.

With the one near me for the younger groups you can only play on the TB team if you are properly "zoned" and also play for the play LL. They basically started an entire TB organization to augment their LL organization. When my DD was playing for this LL they scrimmaged a TB team and were told to make sure not to wear anything related to LL and if anyone asked it was just a practice at a different location.

Sep 18, 2011
I'm very confused about the tiebreaker that was used. If West beat Iowa by a single run, and then Iowa beat southeast, and everyone beat Canada (Take that Canadians!!!), how does West losing 8-0 to southeast benefit West? It would leave three teams at 3-1 and since you can't use head to head in that situaion, it would come down to runs allowed or run differential. Losing 8-0 should have killed West's chances. What am I missing?

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Bottom of 5th still 3-2 Central up. Central with 9 k's and West with 0 k's. 3 hits and 2 walks each.

Central wins 3-2

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I'm very confused about the tiebreaker that was used. If West beat Iowa by a single run, and then Iowa beat southeast, and everyone beat Canada (Take that Canadians!!!), how does West losing 8-0 to southeast benefit West? It would leave three teams at 3-1 and since you can't use head to head in that situaion, it would come down to runs allowed or run differential. Losing 8-0 should have killed West's chances. What am I missing?

Tie breaker is head to head. Since team A beat B, who beat C, who beat A; they go to avg runs given up per inning. The lowest was Southeast, so they moved up. Then you start over. Since West beat Central, they move on.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How does anyone know if the coach said... "hey, Sally, Sue and Jenny have been subs since this whole thing began a month or two ago, what do you say we let them start? You three starters have gotten a lot of playing time; you interested in making their day with me?" Someone said game changer only recorded 4 k's. Doesn't spell out throwing at bats to me.

It does when every single at bat was a bunt attempt, even with 2 strikes. Which from what I have read is what happened. People who were there said it was obvious that they were not playing to win, or to even score runs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole