Interesting Events Going Down at the LLSBWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
Alot of teams do that nowadays. Is there a rule that prevents the all star teams from playing travel tournaments together to prepare them for a run at the world series? Assuming there's not a rule against it, what is so unethical about it?
For quite some time LL has been a cesspool of drama with ethically challenged coaches. One of the worst is in my backyard here in Orlando. This year they prepared by playing in a USSSA tournament then bragged on SM about winning it. Williamsport does not care as long as salaries are covered. People reap what they sow.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do these people not understand the meaning of the word "little"?

Synonyms of little: slight, scant, limited, restricted, modest.

I hate to say it, but it seems that adult males are the ones going bananas.

Sep 29, 2014
If you want to let the bottom four in the line up start and pitch your #3 and #4 pitchers that is 100% fine by me, they had a bracket spot locked up but after you put the players on the field you let the chips fall where they may.

I can promise you this however my DD understands taking pitches for the team or stepping off when you are up 15 in the 3rd inning but if you are down by 8 runs and coach is telling you to swing no matter what and get out she would come to Dad and ask why are we throwing the game to which Dad and coach would talk and then we would walk.

I also don't see how this is fair either...if they threw the game then suspend the coach for the remainder of the tournament. There is either a rule that you have to try to win the game or there is not and most rules usually spell out a penalty and I am pretty sure it is not to play a one game play-off.

Nov 29, 2009
LL is actually to blame somewhat for the whole situation. With only the top two teams advancing from each pool it creates opportunities for someone trying to work the system to their advantage or another team's disadvantage. If all of the teams entered into bracket play being placed by seeding it removes the need for any manipulations. However with the pitching limitations in LL it makes it nearly impossible to do so.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I think it stinks, but its also what happens when you set up tournaments like this. The game and results should have stood and the tourney goes on, Iowa is screwed but if you want to get in, win all your games.

Nov 15, 2013
If teams are eliminated during pool play, what in the heck are they doing playing the final games at different times of the day? Our team did the USSSA 11U regional in Des Moines, and they scheduled the final games for each pool to be played simultaneously, just to prevent coaches from gaming the bracket-- they weren't even eliminating teams. Why is LL not smart enough to do the same thing when teams are in-or-out based on the results?

Apr 8, 2013
I'll play Devil's advocate here and sure, West's loss knocked out Central Iowa, but oh well. Central Iowa had their chance to advance and at some point lost a pool and no longer controlled their own destiny, putting themselves at the mercy of other teams. My oldest's team has done similar. We've gone into the last game of a round robin knowing we were advancing and would pitch a #4 girl, rest the #1 catcher, etc. We earned the right and sometimes it knocked someone out of advancing, sometimes we got knocked out by similar actions. Oh well, we were upset but realized that we gave up control of our own destiny.

Aug 12, 2014
If LL really believes tbe team threw the game then it should be disqualified. I don't see see how you come up with a playoff game.

Aug 12, 2014
I'll play Devil's advocate here and sure, West's loss knocked out Central Iowa, but oh well. Central Iowa had their chance to advance and at some point lost a pool and no longer controlled their own destiny, putting themselves at the mercy of other teams. My oldest's team has done similar. We've gone into the last game of a round robin knowing we were advancing and would pitch a #4 girl, rest the #1 catcher, etc. We earned the right and sometimes it knocked someone out of advancing, sometimes we got knocked out by similar actions. Oh well, we were upset but realized that we gave up control of our own destiny.

There's nothing wrong with that if the players on the field are doing their best to try to win. That's much different than intentionally losing a game.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
While the West coach's actions might seem underhanded, he played by the rules. Little League, however, does not have anything in the rulebook to back up their ruling. They allowed a protest by a team not involved in a game. Only the managers of the teams on the field may file a protest. In this case, Iowa's league president filed the protest. Then they allow a play-in game, which is also not supported by the rules.

So what, exactly are they trying to teach? It's not okay to follow the rules to win our tournament, but it's okay for us to break the rules when we think it's fair. :confused:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi