Interesting Events Going Down at the LLSBWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2013
So what, exactly are they trying to teach? It's not okay to follow the rules to win our tournament, but it's okay for us to break the rules when we think it's fair. :confused:

It's a society thing now - we can't risk offending or having someone upset at us so we have to cater to everyone. Can't risk them being mad and starting a social media "get rid of little league" campaign, or even a lawsuit with the way things are now.

The answer should have been "The rules and procedures being used for this tournament do not address this specific situation, and there is not any provision allowing for your appeal to be considered. We will, however, be conducting a full and thorough review our rules and procedures to have a mechanism in place to address something as unforeseen as this in the future. Unfortunately our commitment to having updated rules and procedures in the future does not help your team this year and is of little consolation. For that we are sorry. At the end of the day the actions of the West team, while we may not agree with them, does not constitute grounds for an appeal to be heard."

Nov 15, 2013
While the West coach's actions might seem underhanded, he played by the rules. Little League, however, does not have anything in the rulebook to back up their ruling. They allowed a protest by a team not involved in a game. Only the managers of the teams on the field may file a protest. In this case, Iowa's league president filed the protest. Then they allow a play-in game, which is also not supported by the rules.

So what, exactly are they trying to teach? It's not okay to follow the rules to win our tournament, but it's okay for us to break the rules when we think it's fair. :confused:

They are teaching that the spirit of competition is the highest pursuit.

Nov 15, 2013
And also...
You-play-to-win-the-game.gif

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I would be absolutely embarrassed to keep my daughter on the west team, and I would have no problem saying "love ya kiddo, but get in the car. This is wrong and we're out of here."

Sometimes you just need to parent.

Sep 29, 2014
While the West coach's actions might seem underhanded, he played by the rules. Little League, however, does not have anything in the rulebook to back up their ruling. They allowed a protest by a team not involved in a game. Only the managers of the teams on the field may file a protest. In this case, Iowa's league president filed the protest. Then they allow a play-in game, which is also not supported by the rules.

This is my biggest issue what are the rules? If you are applying some general sportsmanship clause then it seems like the penalty is either the team is disqualified or the team can continue but the coach is suspended for the tournament. I don't see any way to get to a play-in game scenario?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Alot of teams do that nowadays. Is there a rule that prevents the all star teams from playing travel tournaments together to prepare them for a run at the world series? Assuming there's not a rule against it, what is so unethical about it?

Yes, there is definitely a rule against it, and some LL teams will go to great lengths to skirt it. Many of these LL teams are TB teams that are tightly affiliated with the LL organization. They play as a team in TB and LL, coaches are the same, the TB team practices at the LL complex year round, etc.

With the one near me for the younger groups you can only play on the TB team if you are properly "zoned" and also play for the play LL. They basically started an entire TB organization to augment their LL organization. When my DD was playing for this LL they scrimmaged a TB team and were told to make sure not to wear anything related to LL and if anyone asked it was just a practice at a different location.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do these people not understand the meaning of the word "little"?

Synonyms of little: slight, scant, limited, restricted, modest.

I hate to say it, but it seems that adult males are the ones going bananas.

Unfortunately when we played the game it was an opportunity for some summer travel elsewhere in the state or even up to Williamsport. Now it is a multi-million dollar business with an opportunity to get your mug on ESPN, the cover of Sports Illustrated, and even a meeting at the White House. It is not as big a deal to the kids as the parents. Since just with travel ball any success validates their ability as parents. IME the conduct of TB parents often pales in comparison to LL parents, and when they are both...

Dec 27, 2014
The whole thing is really a shame. I was at the Sunday night game between the west and Iowa club with DD 9/10 all star team, district champs by the way. :D

Really well played game! Both teams fielded excellent LL pitchers sporting Hillhouse style rocker motions. The west pitcher was just a little faster and held the Iowa team down until the 6th when they made an amazing comeback, including a shot to the wall that eventually ties the game in the top of the 6th before the west squad pushed a run home in the bottom half to win, 4-3. The game was everything one could hope for in a little league game!!

West coach should be ashamed to disrespect the game, taint his teams character, and compromise their chances of winning due to LL innings pitched rule.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I agree with Riseball, the "pureness" of the game and fair competition is not being maintained by all participating LL districts.
You could probably correlate district boundaries that have changed more than once in the past 10 years, with teams that have made it past States into Regionals, for example.

Our Little League All-Stars DO play in a few travel ball tournaments each Summer,
but only after eliminated from Little League play; as a way to extend their experience and play as a team.

Our roster this Summer was made up of 3 experienced Travel Ball players, 2 of which played on our school's JV team in the Spring, in addition to Rec League play. 2 others that played Modified team but aren't travel ball players. Etc. Entire roster is made up of 11& 12 yr. old kids living within a small rural district, whose boundaries haven't changed in 25 years. We won our Section for the first time ever, and 4th in States. Were proud of that. Ended our season by winning a 12U Open tournament, this past weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi