Int or OBS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I sat through a freshman football game yesterday where false start was called 6 times in a row, both teams at fault. Then one clean play, then false start, then clean play, then 3 more false starts. Both coaches yelling, fans booing, 1H momentum killed. No FSs called in the 2H, and not because they didn’t happen.

Going to call BS here for a moment. First you are talking about HS players. If a team is that poorly coached, then I would be booing also. Second, 6 false starts in a row cannot happen against both teams, only the offense can commit a false start. The coaches, hopefully WERE yelling, at the players to remember the snap count. Again, if there were false starts committed in the second half that weren't flagged, you are putting the other team at a disadvantage. Sounds like you might want umpires to start picking winners and losers.

Jul 31, 2015
Going to call BS here for a moment. First you are talking about HS players. If a team is that poorly coached, then I would be booing also. Second, 6 false starts in a row cannot happen against both teams, only the offense can commit a false start. The coaches, hopefully WERE yelling, at the players to remember the snap count. Again, if there were false starts committed in the second half that weren't flagged, you are putting the other team at a disadvantage. Sounds like you might want umpires to start picking winners and losers.

Oh Ed. If you only knew.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If I only knew what?

That it was BS? That only the offense can commit a false start? The freshmen football involves HS players? That is sounds like you want umpires to start picking winners and losers?

Jul 31, 2015
Last time I checked, these were in the rules, not in some umpires discretion to change the game.

If the HC knows these things are against the rules, why are they putting that P in the game? Are they EXPECTING that an umpire will let them skirt the rule?

Nope, it was actually a mental exercise created by a play in the Oklahoma/Iowa State game from this weekend.

Depending on the circumstances of the thrown bat.....ejection may have been appropriate.

Are there times when an umpire 'fails to see' something happen? Sure, but guess what, every time an umpire does that, they create an unfair disadvantage for the team that knows/plays by the rules as written. I have said in other posts, yes, there is an art to umpiring, knowing what the spirit and intent of a rule are as well as the written word, but that does NOT mean (as it seems some took my comments to mean) that an umpire can get creative about what rules to enforce when.

What age is your daughter?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
My daughter? 26. Not a ball player. Wondering what that has to do with the price of tea in London on an early November morning.

Jun 22, 2008
So I guess both coaches should submit a list of rules they don't feel should be enforced for that particular game?

And if a pitcher can't pitch legally, yes call her each and every time. Know how she got like that? Because umpire's didn't call it and let her get away with it. If she can't correct it then the coach needs to replace the pitcher.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Holy balls! As a coach I don't want a umps/refs just arbitrarily making up which rules they enforce & when they enforce them. Where does it stop? "Your team is ahead by 5 so you only get 2 outs per inning." "Your pitchers is too good so the batter gets 4 strikes." "Your pitcher is so poorly coached and too stubborn to learn the pitching rules so she can do what ever she wants."

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
I don't want a umps/refs just arbitrarily making up which rules they enforce & when they enforce them. Where does it stop?

Agreed! After years of building our TB team from scratch we found ourselves in the championship game of our association's national qualifier which was a huge deal for all of our players, coaches and parents. During the pre-tournament coaches meeting, the tournament director hammered into us the "new" rule that obstruction would be called if a fielder was in the base path without the ball. We then hammered it into our players.

5th inning, we're down 2-1 with a runner on 3rd and 1 out. Our batter hit a medium fly ball to RF. Our runner on 3rd tagged up and tried to go around the catcher who was camped out in the baseline at least 10 feet in front of home plate - far enough that our BR couldn't even begin to slide and still reach HP. Their catcher stepped into our runner, they collided, then their catcher caught the ball and applied the tag to our runner who was crawling to home after being knocked down. HP umpire calls our runner out - No obstruction called. Tournament director called to field but was told by HP umpire the catcher had ball prior to collision so TD confirmed HP umpire's call. The result was end of inning with score still 2-1 instead of 2 outs with a tied score.

Incredibly, this exact same situation happened again the very next inning. We ended up losing the championship 2-1. The HP umpire heard lots of chirping from the stands (and not just from our fans) before he left the field. Amazingly, after one chirp pushed his button, he paused in front of everyone in the stands and on the field, walked over to the person who pushed his button, and said he didn't like the new rule and he would never make that call.

Soooo... His dislike for the new rule cost our team a trip to a national championship. And, in case you are wondering, the association president heard about this, confirmed it with several impartial witnesses, and he told us a couple weeks later the umpire was barred for life from that association.

Moral of the story... Rules not enforced DO benefit the teams who don't play by them.

Jun 22, 2008
What you just described is obstruction and should have been called.

But,
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A NEW OBSTRUCTION RULE, PERIOD!.

NCAA is the ONLY ruleset that made it obstruction just to be in front of a base, every other ruleset the runner must be impeded in some way to have obstruction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55