Int or OBS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Then no need to hire umpire's, just play sandlot rules and make them up as you go.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Then no need to hire umpire's, just play sandlot rules and make them up as you go.

Only if we can play with 5 a side. Right field is an automatic out, pitchers circle is a force out instead of first, and we can have invisible runners on third, when the baserunner is back up to bat.

Jul 31, 2015
Yeah. Umpires and their incessant use of the rules. I mean it’s like every pitch, it’s like the plate umpire feels it’s his job to say something after every pitch.

let the kids play.

Please say more. Something here needs to be excised. Because most people would not conflate advocating for allowing kids to play a game without undue interference with calling balls and strikes.

Jul 31, 2015
I sat through a freshman football game yesterday where false start was called 6 times in a row, both teams at fault. Then one clean play, then false start, then clean play, then 3 more false starts. Both coaches yelling, fans booing, 1H momentum killed. No FSs called in the 2H, and not because they didn’t happen.

Softball equivalent would be calling an illegal hop or replant every time, which has been happening more frequently since the penalty was lightened up a few years ago. Because it’s near impossible to fix hops and replants mid-game, calling them over and over is effectively a way to push a pitcher out of the game.

Ever seen a young batter called out because they had a yellow jersey, or yellow cleats or a yellow grip? Or earnings that they couldn’t take out because they just got their ears pierced?

I one time saw a 7 y.o. ejected for throwing a bat, no prior warning given.

What about the recent discussion on this board re: the look back rule applied to a 9 yo tucking in their shirt?

No one appreciates when rules are under-applied, nor when they are over-applied. What’s appropriate will vary by level, but we’ve all seen both sides.

My guess is that the original post for this thread was about a 10u or 12u game. Am I right?

Jun 22, 2008
?

Who said anything about not using umpires?
"Just let the kids play"

There are rules of the game and it is the umpire's job to enforce those rules. Yes, the kids can play but they have to play within the confines of the rules. If you don't want rules enforced then don't bother hiring umpire's.

Jul 31, 2015
"Just let the kids play"

There are rules of the game and it is the umpire's job to enforce those rules. Yes, the kids can play but they have to play within the confines of the rules. If you don't want rules enforced then don't bother hiring umpire's.

theres nuance as to what rules and when. It’s not one size fits all.

ref: 35’ and 11” ball at 10U

thanks

Feb 13, 2021
MI
ref: 35’ and 11” ball at 10U

Last time I checked, these were in the rules, not in some umpires discretion to change the game.

Because it’s near impossible to fix hops and replants mid-game, calling them over and over is effectively a way to push a pitcher out of the game.

If the HC knows these things are against the rules, why are they putting that P in the game? Are they EXPECTING that an umpire will let them skirt the rule?

My guess is that the original post for this thread was about a 10u or 12u game. Am I right?

Nope, it was actually a mental exercise created by a play in the Oklahoma/Iowa State game from this weekend.

I one time saw a 7 y.o. ejected for throwing a bat, no prior warning given.
Depending on the circumstances of the thrown bat.....ejection may have been appropriate.

theres nuance as to what rules and when. It’s not one size fits all.
Are there times when an umpire 'fails to see' something happen? Sure, but guess what, every time an umpire does that, they create an unfair disadvantage for the team that knows/plays by the rules as written. I have said in other posts, yes, there is an art to umpiring, knowing what the spirit and intent of a rule are as well as the written word, but that does NOT mean (as it seems some took my comments to mean) that an umpire can get creative about what rules to enforce when.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01