Insurance Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2012
I am looking at getting insurance setup for a travel organization that includes 5 travel teams aged 10U through 18U and 4 local teams 14U through 18U (school "feeder type" teams that are not school teams but will have different rosters and will only play locally one night a week).

If I understand correctly, I can either get ASA insurance per girl (which most of the teams will probably do anyway as they will be signing up for ASA qualifiers) or just a blanket policy for the number of teams to be covered. In the end, I believe I will have a combination of both.

What is covered by the ASA insurance? Does this cover the girls the entire season no matter where they play? ASA and non-ASA tournaments? If a travel roster is covered by ASA, do I need to have blanket coverage for them also should they do non-ASA sanctioned events? This will be needed to determine how many "teams" are covered by the blanket insurance.

Just making sure I am not missing anything... thanks in advance for your help!

Feb 3, 2011
I don't know where you're located, but while most of the major organizations have events in NorCal, we're primarily ASA. In my experience, we're better off doing individual player ASA registration. Then there are never any questions about guest play, changing rosters, etc. When competing in non-ASA events, we ask whether our ASA insurance is acceptable and we've never had a problem.

Triple Crown is an org that requires separate insurance, so a team policy is usually the way to go with them if you're in mainly an ASA area, but would like to go to the TC World Series.

Bollinger has always indicated they'd cover our players and coaches for properly officiated games pretty much anywhere. It's the non-ASA sanctions that they want an insurance add-on paid to them, not Bollinger saying that they won't cover teams playing in non-ASA events.