Inspect your DD's Face Mask!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
GoGamecocks, what brand was the helmet?

That was a solid hit.

L360 I wonder if you can cut that foam with an electric knife. Way back when.... dd was a 10u that took a direct hit to a Rip-It. Bent the mask. I’ve always wondered if she had a minor concussion.
The foam cuts really easily with a sharp knife. They also have different densities depending on the use. I think I'm going to try and make it dual layer. I'll use the heavier density stuff for most of it, but use a thin layer of the lighter density stuff on top where it contact her head for comfort. I will have to cut it to match the profile of her forehead so it won't be universal fitting like the soft foam the manufacturer uses. Once I get the fit right I'll cover it in some fabric to help protect the foam from general waer and tear and to make it look a little better.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2015
Please share a picture when you're done - I know facemasks aren't designed to prevent concussions, but if different padding can make a difference, I may need to upgrade mine. Don't know why I didn't think about this before being that my daughter also catches.

May 29, 2015
Loving the initiative Lancer! Keep in mind, modifying equipment will void the manufacturer’s warranty. Not that that it a huge concern compared to trying to alleviate concussions.

As I said, my concern is that people think these masks do something they do not do.

Redesigning the padding is about the only way to go. There is no other mechanism for distributing the force of the impact based on the simplistic design of the masks. There is a chin cup, which concentrates the force down low, and a “head band” which is not designed to distribute force, so again the impact point is going to take the brunt of it.

Feb 3, 2011
Currently, there is no performance standard or testing for face masks from NOCSAE (my opinions on NOCSAE aside) or any other organization. Any cheap piece of metal with the cheapest of pads (designed for cost effectiveness and possibly some mild comfort, not safety) can be sold as a face mask.
That's the key takeaway here for all those out there who still insist that rec leagues should "mandate" masks for young players.

I'm glad the OP's daughter was not seriously injured and masks CAN provide more protection than using nothing at all, but they also have the potential to be dangerous to the user.

May 29, 2015
That's the key takeaway here for all those out there who still insist that rec leagues should "mandate" masks for young players.

I'm glad the OP's daughter was not seriously injured and masks CAN provide more protection than using nothing at all, but they also have the potential to be dangerous to the user.

We had that debate awhile back in another thread. My stance against mandating masks was misunderstood (as it often is) as me advocating against masks. Not the case at all ... I have an issue with mandating untested equipment with no performance standard. I also have an issue with people using a piece of safety equipment without knowing its limitations.

May 29, 2015
Nothing is perfect or foolproof! Good training and healthy precaution!View attachment 14759

It’s just a little loose Blue! Why can’t I use it? It’s only one screw missing!

A couple of years ago I was going to through out an entire team’s helmets. They had removed all of the foam padding and replaced it with gel cooling packs.

The coach said “we didn’t do it, they came like that.” I looked at him and shrugged. “I wouldn’t wear one of those. But I don’t work for a helmet company and I can’t prove you didn’t.” So I let them use them.

People just don’t get what protective equipment is for.

May 6, 2015
A couple of years ago I was going to through out an entire team’s helmets. They had removed all of the foam padding and replaced it with gel cooling packs.

how were they fixed inside the helmets? if glued, the only thing I can think of to make them stay, how would they cool, did they place all 12 or so helmets in freezer the night before?

May 29, 2015
how were they fixed inside the helmets? if glued, the only thing I can think of to make them stay, how would they cool, did they place all 12 or so helmets in freezer the night before?

The packs were all attached with Velcro so they could be removed.

Anybody ever see helmets like that from the manufacturer?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying