Injury prevention pitch right hit left?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
I know that when you stride thousands of times a year it probabally affects your acl, and when you hit if you hit the same side you pitch (right or left) you are striding thousands more times a year on the same leg. Would it be better to switch to opposing side (hit lefty/pitch righty, etc) to prevent overworking one side and to balance out your muscles being used?

Last edited:
May 5, 2009
It is usually the top hand that gets hit in the swing. Keeping your fingers away from the ball is more important than the arm and a good reason for the switch. If concerned wear an elbow gaurd. My LHP bats right. She has gone yard 12 times this fall but I still have a college coach that laughs, shakes his head and says "thats just wrong".

Jul 26, 2010
I think the bigger question here is, "In softball, if the batter is strong from the left side, is there ever a reason for her to hit from the right?".

-W

DragonCoach,

In my opinion, a right handed hitter should not be forced to become a left handed hitter. However, you are on to something! When practicing hitting, players should practice from the right and the left. This promotes muscle balance. Additionally, resistance is created on our opposite side when we pitch, hit and throw. The stronger we can make the oppsite side, the more resistance we create. That way we can get the job done faster, quicker and more efficiently. Make sense?

May 7, 2008
I beleive your objective is correct - balanacing the muscle development on both sides is a good idea. i doubt switch hitting will do it. A good weight program will help better than switch hitting.

My observation is if you ask a pitcher to do the standing broad jump off on leg or the other whether they are a righty or a lefty will be 12-18" obvious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi