Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
DDs university team (in the midwest) wears masks. DD will play 3rd for them. I would have had a long heart to heart with DD had any schools been against them.

I live pitch to my kid from slightly closer then the rubber behind a screen. I have been clipped a couple times, but once I guess I hung my arm out from behind the screen too long. She hit me solid in the arm where the bottom of the delt and the top of the bicep connect. No lie, I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. I cannot imagine taking a shot like that to the face. I just can't accept that kind of risk.

Oct 10, 2018
Choice was taken out of DD's hands. 1st baseman - don't wear a mask, you don't play. If anyone gives her any pressure she can blame me but she's on board - showed her a ton of videos of girls getting hit. Her old coach was standing behind a mesh net and soft-tossing - took one right to the eyebrow. Split it right open to the bone, blood everywhere, she threw up, stitches and concussion. That made an impression.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I hate that it's not a rule in HS softball.

Me too, but it's entirely a liability issue. Until masks get NOCSAE certification, I don't see how a high school association could mandate safety equipment that doesn't meet any industry standard.

As a coach, I'll tell my players about masks. I'll say "getting a mask is a good idea." But I can't recommend one or tell them they have to wear one (I really, really wish all the IFs/pitchers would though).

Jul 28, 2019
I'd almost say it's okay to not wear one at 10U - the girls aren't hitting as hard and sometimes it's a struggle to even throw a strike!

I don't think it's smart because reflexes just aren't as strong at that age. It only takes one.
I've witnessed several wicked line drives carom off of pitchers' chests at 10U. A few inches higher, and with no face mask, those young girls' (including my eldest DD) lives may have been altered. I'm in the forever face mask and padded chest protector club for as long as my daughters pitch/play corner infield spots.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
When Anna got to the point that she thought she was too cool for a mask, I gave in a little.....okay, no mask at SS! But I told her if she wants to get embarrassed, go to the circle or 3B without one and see what happens, I'll stop the game and walk out and hand you your mask in front of everyone! We had that deal and we both stuck to it!

I'll never forget going to a team camp at a very strong D1 program, I *think* Anna was 13? The coaches had every girl there all throw their masks into one pile at the start of the camp, and trust me, this particular AC hits absolute rockets to infielders, regardless of age! There was some very unhappy parents, and that camp, that day set the "mask tone" for our organization, after that camp the girls didn't want to look like they were scared of the ball.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I live pitch to my kid from slightly closer then the rubber behind a screen. I have been clipped a couple times,

I can hear the ball going by on the ones close to my head. I've left my foot exposed and paid the price more than once. The last time, even though I was wearing a cross-trainer with a full leather upper, the big toe was a year fully healing.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'll never forget going to a team camp at a very strong D1 program, I *think* Anna was 13? The coaches had every girl there all throw their masks into one pile at the start of the camp, and trust me, this particular AC hits absolute rockets to infielders, regardless of age! There was some very unhappy parents, and that camp, that day set the "mask tone" for our organization, after that camp the girls didn't want to look like they were scared of the ball.

Curious about what year that happened. I'll tell you that if a coach told my kid to remove a mask, we'd have a problem. If they proceeded to hit "rockets" to make a point, we'd have an even bigger problem. I'm certain that I pull my kid at that moment because if my kid took a bad hop to the face, hurt or not, I'd likely end up in prison for what happens next.

I remember talking with a friend and a veteran ball player...college, Army, some time in the minors, and one of the better SP players in the country in his age group. Very much an "old school" kind of guy. We were watching his grand-daughter warm up for a game...16U...pretty good team. The coach was hitting "rockets", apparently to make a point. I thought he was going to go after that coach right then and there he was so pissed. Had she been hurt by a bad hop in that crappy infield, it would have been "on". That team was a memory a couple weeks later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi