Infield Masks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
It is not a dead issue. There are Orgs. that discourage mask for infielders with comments like, "why are you wearing that mask, what, are you afraid of the ball, it is not like you're going to be winning a beauty contest any time soon."
There are still plenty of dumb people out there.
I'd tell DD to reply "and MENSA isnt inviting you to join anytime soon"

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
It is not a dead issue. There are Orgs. that discourage mask for infielders with comments like, "why are you wearing that mask, what, are you afraid of the ball, it is not like you're going to be winning a beauty contest any time soon."

There are always idiots, but I see no current evidence of active discrimination by anyone who matters.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Please stop associating what one or two coaches say as representation of an entire org.
Simply
No organization leadership
(Atleast here in so cal)
Has any control of what other coaches say or do.
And most coaches certainly would not want to be thrown in the same basket with all coaches in any org. ;)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
At some age, is it expected by travel coaches and college coaches that infielders will stop wearing masks? If so, what age?

Also, was wondering if mask usage is more regional, almost universal in the northeast for infielders 14U and under but saw less of them when we went south for tournaments.
My DD's college team's entire infield wears them. Same with her old travel team - and we are in Florida. Most of DD's college team have batting cages on their helmets as well - they all pretty much have had them there since 8U so they are totally used to them at this point.

As that have got lighter, better designed and more common, we are basically at the point where no one that matters cares and the hold outs are now few and far between. I am sure there are still a few of the 'it was better in the old days' out there - but they have become the miniority.

Normally the person who is pulling the old 'no fielding mask' line is the same person who pitches front toss from behind a giant screen.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
I saw a pitcher at a 10U tournament in Virginia a couple of years ago pitch without a mask. The team was based out of Southern Maryland.
I'd almost say it's okay to not wear one at 10U - the girls aren't hitting as hard and sometimes it's a struggle to even throw a strike!

I don't think it's smart because reflexes just aren't as strong at that age. It only takes one.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Somewhat related - but is it a requirement to wear heart guards in college?
DD doesn't pitch anymore but actually wore her heart guard even playing SS just in case they ever needed her to pitch.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD’s 10u organization required all positions to wear a face mask. IF, OF, P….didn’t matter.

Same org…. First year 12u it became optional (P was still required), but as coaches we made a team decision that all IF had to. No parents complained.

New team (same coaches)…. Second year 12u was very similar. P had to wear a mask. While optional…it was heavily encouraged for IF to wear. Sometimes if a girl really pushed back on wearing it we’d go with whatever the parent said (and I’d ask face to face). I’ve just seen too many bad hops on a rocket grounder to feel comfortable letting younger players play IF without a mask.

As a parent…. DD will always wear a mask when pitching and playing IF. She wants to wear it anyways so it’s never been an argument. While she’s not afraid of the ball she says she feels more confident with it on and often forgets she’s even wearing it.

If DD plays college….it’s up to her. But I’ll be heavily encouraging her to wear one.

I’ve not seen (or heard of) a team outright telling their players to not wear one.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Sometimes if a girl really pushed back on wearing it we’d go with whatever the parent said

It's the kids that often put up the fight with their parents about wearing them. Sometimes, it's a passive-aggressive "I forgot" thing. I've never required it, but if I know a parent wants it, I enforce that without exception.

Jan 29, 2016
We are in CA. 16U level. We see most pitchers wearing masks but a lot don't. I would say about 60% do. My daughter plays 3rd and wears it during live play. At practices when coach is hitting ground balls she doesn't wear it but when they are having live hitting she wears it. When she play 2nd base or outfield she doesn't wear it.

And her coaches have told her wear it if you want to. I think in high school it has become an issue because most of the "cool" girls don't wear them, but my daughter still puts it on when playing 3rd during live BP or games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs