Infield fly ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Weather can play a factor in calling Infield Fly as well ... an overly windy day could pretty much wipe IF from the books.

Not sure that I would factor the sun in though, as that is pretty consistent unlike gusting, swirling winds.

Jun 7, 2019
eddieq
... the IF rule is there to protect the offense from a "cheap" double play. It's not intended to give a free out to the defense.

canyonjoe
When you are on defense you never have the right to complain when it's not called. The rule is to protect the offense, not give a cheap out to the defense.

Both exactly right. As a long time former coach who's now umpiring, whenever I'm in an IF situation, as soon as that ball goes up, my first thought is always, "Do I need to protect the offense on this play?"

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
eddieq

canyonjoe

Both exactly right. As a long time former coach who's now umpiring, whenever I'm in an IF situation, as soon as that ball goes up, my first thought is always, "Do I need to protect the offense on this play?"

Actually, the rule makes that determination. The only consideration the umpire should take into account is if it could be caught with normal effort. Other than fair or foul, nothing else is relevant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles