Infield Face Masks and College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Miquel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers took a one hop rocket off the face this week. 8 stitches and a minor fracture of his orbital bone. They say if he wasn't wearing sunglasses it would have been much worse.

I almost posted the link to the video when it happened. Wasn't even really a wicked smash. Looks like he just kind of lost track of it as his glove stays down and then it took a bad hop. I don't expect MLBers to start wearing masks but if a guy like Miggy should choose to wear a mask after that incident, it sure would go a long way towards making them more palatable to the younger kids.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I wouldn't expect a MLB player to wear a mask, unless it was required by a doctor for a short term. But it does show that MLB players do take the occasional ball off the face and the damage can be great. The fact that the damage was mitigated by sunglasses, shows you the protection a mask can provide.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I wouldn't expect a MLB player to wear a mask, unless it was required by a doctor for a short term.
Agreed. Sometimes you see NBA players wearing face shields. Usually for medical reasons after they have taken one too many elbows to the face.
But it does show that MLB players do take the occasional ball off the face and the damage can be great.
Yes it can. As I indicated before it has ended more than one career. Bryce Florie is the one that was most chilling when I saw it. Just last year Juan Nicosia took one off his neck and had to have two veterbre surgically fused. Though a mask would not have helped with that one.
The fact that the damage was mitigated by sunglasses, shows you the protection a mask can provide.
Good thing sunglasses are polycarbonate or some other platic these days and not real glass like the old days or he might have had to deal with shattered glass in his eye.

Oct 21, 2009
My DD started wearing a mask about 2 years ago. She had braces on and was playing third base. During pre game warmup the coach hit one to her and it took a bad hop and caught her in the side of her face. She gathered up the ball, threw to first and then came the blood and tears. The coach who hit the ball was there almost before her glove hit the ground.
She only cut up her mouth and lips, no serious damage. She asked for a mask.
Round one of the braces was off and she continued to wear it. I noticed she got more aggressive in her fielding.
She has braces back on at age 12 and now plays travel ball. Last year her and one other girl wore masks on the infield. Last night 7 girls had them at practice.
I think that you will se leagues making them mandatory just to save them from lawsuits.
One game comes to mind was from last years college world series. The catcher from Baylor gets hit in the face with a foul ball. I still can't understand why she would play half the game (defense) with a mask on but not have one on her helmet when batting!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Here is a picture of our pitchers eye shortly after she was hit by a line drive while wearing a Rip-it face mask. I cropped it for her privacy, so it is a little hard to distingush the swelling in the eye compared to the other eye, but trust me, her eye is completely swollen shut! Can you imagine the damage that would have been done if she was not wearing a Rip-it mask?

Lauren's shiner - cropped.jpg

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Interesting that this topic came up now, because yesterday I received a forwarded email from the mother of one of my hitting students. It had come from the brand new varsity coach -- a 20-something woman who played college ball at a D2 school, and who my elder daughter played against in travel and HS ball during her playing days.

The gist of the email was "I can't tell you not to wear a mask but I really don't want you to wear one. You will field better if you're forced to because you have no protection, and by the way D1 college coaches won't take you if you wear one. No college players wear them." The implied message was "If you want to play varsity lose the mask." The mom asked me what I thought of the email. I gave her my thoughts, and then suggested she check out this thread to get other perspectives.

I actually used to be more old school about this, but changed my mind over time. I still don't think outfielders or middle infielders need them, but they are a good idea for P, 3B and 1B if she plays in. And yes, I had an outfielder break her nose on a fly ball but it really shouldn't have happened; that was operator error.

Regardless, though, I would never stop anyone or suggest to anyone that they not wear a mask if they want to. I wouldn't threaten them or pressure them to lose it.

What I asked the mom is will the coach help pay the medical bills if her daughter catches one in the face? We she come over to help her with any rehab to get her back on the field? I doubt it. She'll just put in a sub and move on.

I also think the whole "D1 college coaches" argument is bogus for this particular team. I doubt it's really an issue for them. I've seen them play. D3 maybe, but a lot of those coaches will be happy to have competent players, mask or no. It's not always easy getting good players to "play down" at the D3 level since all their parents think they should be playing at U of A, ASU or UCLA anyway. I wonder if the mid-major D1 teams care that much either.

Finally, I told her that her daughter will be playing softball for a handful of years more at best, but she'll have her face with her the rest of her life. Seems like an easy decision to me if you're worried about it.

I suggested she keep and the other parents keep the email, just in case something should happen (God forbid). I'm no lawyer, but I think you could make a pretty compelling case that the underlying tone told the kids not to wear a mask, regardless of what the words said.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Ken,

I agree that every parent whose daughter is trying out for this team should keep this e-mail. I also believe each parent should ask the principal of the school for a copy of the school's liability insurance and other related insurance policies. The fact that this "coach" (and I use the term very hesitantly) put this in writing tells me that implied in this "coach's" e-mail is "you'll never need a mask because my teaching will make you a perfect fielder" - so I hope her personal liability insurance is paid up.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Agreed. Sometimes you see NBA players wearing face shields. Usually for medical reasons after they have taken one too many elbows to the face.

Yes it can. As I indicated before it has ended more than one career. Bryce Florie is the one that was most chilling when I saw it. Just last year Juan Nicosia took one off his neck and had to have two veterbre surgically fused. Though a mask would not have helped with that one.

Good thing sunglasses are polycarbonate or some other platic these days and not real glass like the old days or he might have had to deal with shattered glass in his eye.

My parents and bro were AT that game. They said that they actually saw someone get sick in the stands after hearing and seeing it happen.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I mentioned earlier, that if a coach doesn't want a player to wear a mask and the player wants to wear it. I would not want that coach to coach my DD. Masks are a growing part of the game. You may not see them in the D1 level very much right now, but wait a few years. If a D1 coach is scouting for a third baseman and sees everyone of the girls wearing mask what are they going to do. Not draft a third baseman. I never heard of a MLB team not draft a player cause he wears an elbow guard when they hit. It is an evolution of the game.

I know of a girl that is a very good player. She pitched for an A level TB team. One day WHAM. She took one to the face. Then she got her nose rebuilt. A year later pitching BP for the high school varsity team. WHAM. ANOTHER new nose. Softball is over for her forever. She was only a sophomore in high school. A $40 mask and she would still be playing the game she loves.

Your kids safey is more important than what other people think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild