Infield Face Masks and College

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It has nothing to do with families, no one is saying what you should do in 10u 12u. The college players are adults and can do what they wish.

I would not wear a mask. And LL BB is a bad example: The baseball is more dangerous and no LL boys that I have ever seen nor any HS or travel boys wear masks. Wear is all this familial concern for boys? Oh, they are allowed to be hurt and have ugly faces I guess.

I have been hit many times, although not that many pitching. Even in the face (twice). You do live almost all of the time. Good grief.

The bats are the problem. Face it. Darling daughter needs to suck it up and have a heavy bat with a smaller sweet spot and maybe strike out once in awhile so all the girls can be spared a strange future in armor.

To me some of this is like labeling a large bucket for parents that it is a drowning hazard for babies. We overdo it, even when everyone is an adult. The forum topic says college, after all. This is not about the kids.

A college coach can and will weed kids out on the smallest of things, and masks can be one them (If you don't have a medical reason, FYI I am not a college coach so don't get made at me ). I personally would not take the chance if I were going for a college spot.
Speaking as a parent. My children are my children until the day I die. I don't care if they are 50, I will still want to see them safe.
Don't you feel the same about your children?

You can compare it to a silly warning label all you want, but when the risk is there to lose an eye or to have a concussion, I want to see that the kids at least have an option to be protected without being judged. Coaches who judge players who take the option to be safe are pieces of stuff that I am not allowed to say on this forum.

BTW I have seen local LLs that required the boys to wear masks on their batting helmets. When I coached LL I had several helmets with masks and I encouraged the boys to use them. Some did, most didn't, but I encouraged it.

Jul 1, 2010
Good grief already! Put your big girl/boy panties on and be the parent!!!

I don't care if Jenny Finch (DD's hero) came to my house and told DD to not wear the mask, she is wearing it until I'm convinced she is somewhat safe. I'm the f$$&ing dad. End of conversation!

Point is, be the adult, be willing to walk away when someone tries to tell you how to run your, or your kids, life.

Nov 1, 2009
Catchers don't throw the mask any more with the hockey style masks. The second thing I would say is just because someone does something or says something it doesn't make it right, that includes me. I would doubt any coach that is quality would make a statement like a player wearing a mask being weak, smart maybe.

As for a change in the ball, I don't think you could soften it enought not to do damage to the facial bones. The last point I would make is most players aren't going to make a living playing softball so why take the chance.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
You guys have stop bringing the boys into the mix,
last time I checked the bases are at 90' at the older ages when
the ball starts being hit hard on a regular basis. Agree to disagree,
my DD took a shot while pitching and wants the mask. Sometimes
the behavior on the forum is like pre-adolescent siblings when there
is a disagreement WOW

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Not sure if this fits into the discussion or not. We went to several of the Chicago Bandits (woman professional softball) games. A total of 4 games ( 3 different teams) We saw 3 out of 4 3rd baseman wearing a mask, several pitchers, 1 first basemand and short stop. We thought nothing less of them. Judge the players ability/talent not their looks. My daughter does nopt want to wear one but my rule is if you play you wear one. I am so mean ;)

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure if this fits into the discussion or not. We went to several of the Chicago Bandits (woman professional softball) games. A total of 4 games ( 3 different teams) We saw 3 out of 4 3rd baseman wearing a mask, several pitchers, 1 first basemand and short stop. We thought nothing less of them. Judge the players ability/talent not their looks. My daughter does nopt want to wear one but my rule is if you play you wear one. I am so mean ;)

Wow! Makes you wonder if once these young women are married/older and wiser/or have children of their own they have a different viewpoint about being cool or tough or whatever. Perhaps their perspective changes when they are responsible for more than just themselves (including paying their own medical bills). Maybe they realize being safe and healthy takes more than just chance or luck. At any rate- I think it is GREAT that some professionals are wearing masks- good example for the next generation!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

It is probably the result of becoming an intelligent, responsible adult and not feeling the need to impress someone.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

I think in 4-5 years most college pitchers and 3rd basemen will be wearing masks.

Jul 9, 2010
This thread, as with all of them on this topic, has become ridiculous. The OP asks, do college coaches care.

Some folks with recruiting experience say, yes, generally, it's frowned upon.

Then, all of the recruiting experts who are parents of 10 and 12 year olds say things like:
- my DD would never play for a coach like that
- you people that don't require your kid to wear one are horrible parents,
- and, the one I like the best - it's simply not true, because any college coach who is not a moron will see past the mask, and realize how amazingly talented my DD is

So, fine, let us know how it works out.

There are folks on this board that have helped dozens, if not 100's, of kids move on to college.

If you don't want their opinion, don't ask the question.

And you should never make comments like put on your big boy pants on. You not liking the answer does not mean the answer is wrong.

But, this thread comes up every few months, and it goes the same way, which ends up in this ridiculous place, because everyone knows that parents of 12 year olds know all about the recruiting process, and what coaches say, whereas those who have attended many signing ceremonies are nitwits.

Do you what want, they're your kids.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
This thread, as with all of them on this topic, has become ridiculous. The OP asks, do college coaches care.

Some folks with recruiting experience say, yes, generally, it's frowned upon.

Then, all of the recruiting experts who are parents of 10 and 12 year olds say things like:
- my DD would never play for a coach like that
- you people that don't require your kid to wear one are horrible parents,
- and, the one I like the best - it's simply not true, because any college coach who is not a moron will see past the mask, and realize how amazingly talented my DD is

So, fine, let us know how it works out.

There are folks on this board that have helped dozens, if not 100's, of kids move on to college.

If you don't want their opinion, don't ask the question.

And you should never make comments like put on your big boy pants on. You not liking the answer does not mean the answer is wrong.

But, this thread comes up every few months, and it goes the same way, which ends up in this ridiculous place, because everyone knows that parents of 12 year olds know all about the recruiting process, and what coaches say, whereas those who have attended many signing ceremonies are nitwits.

Do you what want, they're your kids.

Sometimes its difficult to see with common sense when looking thru mommy and daddy goggles. It will change as they get older. Parents should be protective of little ones but I agree with you, because we relay what college coaches tell us it dosent make us heartless towards their kids just responding to the questions asked. Nice post.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole