Indoor training facility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
I am finally going to fulfill a life long dream of mine of opening an indoor baseball/softball training facility. I will open the facility this November in Thomasville, Ga. and I was wondering what to offer other than just the private instructions, cages and pitching mounds. What are parents looking for these days agility, arm stength, etc. Also what would be a good ad campaign to get the word out about the facility to get some early memberships before the actual open date. Thanks for any suggestions in advance. Thinking of name Scout Baseball/Softball Training Academy

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
A little off subject maybe but one owner of such a facility confided to me that he could not have stayed in business with baseball/softball alone. He has two full length basketball courts that he rents by the half court (4 half courts). Plus he has a small pro shop and small concessions, mostly sports drinks.

Don't know your situation but hope this helps.

One of the main suggestions would be video. Lots of video. Not only would that let you be able to review lessons during down time it could be a good money maker. I'm not talking about RVP, I'm talking plain old video. I'm sure you could sell the "need" for having a video to review at home between lessons. Might even give away the first lesson video. Now they're hooked.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Good luck, most have failed in this area. Insurance was a killer. The other problem was many high school now have indoor practice area. We have a field house, that contains an indoor field used by baseball, soccer, softball, football and other sports. I agree with expanding it to other sports. . Those that have made it have soccer, and other sports so that it runs year round. Get some big names in to do camps and clinics.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The ones that I see fail, didn't have a good business plan, to begin with and were underfunded. People running their own businesses tell me that you can't begin to make much of a profit for 3 years. You must know softball inside and out, or have someone on staff that does. Don't try and fake it. Word of mouth can kill you.

Name it something to do with softball. So, a Google search can find you. We have a large gymnasium sitting empty, here, named Velocity. No one knew about it. I use the term Tucson Softball Lessons and a simple search of the Internet finds me. I rely on a web site, You Tube and Twitter.

The hitting center that I was involved with in IL. started very small, with just a couple of hand fed Jugs machines and was owned by a MLB player. It helps to have a local celebrity in baseball/softball to help draw people in.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Identify some local hitting / pitching / conditioning coaches and work out a deal with them to use your facility. Once their clients are introduced to the place hopefully you can get them back for more. Reach out to local baseball & softball rec leagues that may be interested in coaches and player clinics. Put in a "lounge" with TVs, seating, tables, snacks, and WIFI where parents and siblings can wait.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
I ran my own business for about 20 years. Being a know it all, I did not listen to suggestions and basically learned as I went. This was not the best way to proceed. It was only after years of hard work and many mistakes that I developed some sort of business plan which included a future view of the business. I sold the company, retired for 3 months and got a job teaching Carpentry in order to pay for my dd’s softball paraphernalia and training.
Here are a few suggestions:
1. Never delay calling back a customer. A customer puts money in your pocket. Treat them as you would want to be treated. You are looking for repeat customers.
2. Get a mass e-mail list and e-mail these people on a weekly or biweekly basis informing them of specials.
3. Try to sell some sort of products involving softball or baseball. Your accountant will have to review with you all the tax ramifications.
4. Offer various Hit Clubs and different hitting games that gets teams (lots of people) into your facility.
5. Make a deal with a vending machine company.
6. Offer birthday party specials and make a deal with a local pizza shop and bakery.
7. Only hire knowledge hard working people. Easier said than done. Retired people typically will give you a good day of work.
8. Try to get cash up front (if possible)
9. If a parent can not afford to pay for lessons or tunnel rentals, have them work at the facility by letting them paint or clean up. You will have a customer for life.
10. Contact local teams and offer huge discounts for team members. Most teams now have pretty good web sites.
Good Luck.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't know how easy this is to do, put I see pics of facilities on here, that have dirt for the pitching area and batting boxes.

Jul 26, 2010
There is a facility in San Jose that my daughter goes to for pitching and hitting now, outside of her travel teams facility. I really like a few things about it:

1.) The instructors all teach the same mechanics. If one instructor is out or if we need to come in on a different day, I know my kid is going to be taught the same thing. All of the instructors are either former D1 athletes or instructors with a proven track record at the college or 18-gold level working with kids who became D1 athletes.

2.) Scheduling is done online. You pay by the month, X amount of credits per month, and if you need to reschedule you can use the online app to move your slot/instructor/day so long as it's done 24 hours in advance.

3.) Copious use of video. They use RVP once a month or so to compare where she is to where she was, and then overlay with a top tier athlete to show areas for improvement.

It has all the usual amenities like air conditioning/heating, wifi, comfortable lounge and areas for the kids to do homework, pro shop (including dimarini demo center), ect, but really the 3 things above are what set it apart, IMHO. Too many places are just buildings where your kid goes to see their instructor.

-W

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I am finally going to fulfill a life long dream of mine of opening an indoor baseball/softball training facility. I will open the facility this November in Thomasville, Ga. and I was wondering what to offer other than just the private instructions, cages and pitching mounds. What are parents looking for these days agility, arm stength, etc. Also what would be a good ad campaign to get the word out about the facility to get some early memberships before the actual open date. Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

I have a place in Nashua, NH. We are about to open a bigger location. Cage rentals are seasonal. Instruction and player development shouldn't be. Have programs that allow kids to train, keep up their skills but not force a year-round, softball only commitment. We do memberships for the committed players in high school, seasonal programs for specific skills/tools like arm strength, infield, hitting, throwing, etc, and then private lessons. With our new facility, we will also rent out to teams. Also, we are going to do everything we can to get Howard and CB up here this winter!

Be careful with teams. Staff well. Don't just money grab. Best of luck!!! PM me if you have any specific questions.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pardon my ignorance but what is the weather like in Thomasville, Ga? Are Teams/ Players forced inside during the some months of the year? Too cold, to hot, to much rain, etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish