Building an indoor facility any suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 28, 2019
If trying to limit upfront cost usually can find used turf from a nearby field renovation for much less money. Since it's indoors it'll last a long time. The infill (rubber pellets) get a lot of it. Also for cages and netting there's a company that does a lot of poultry netting that also makes good quality cages, screens, etc. At a fair price. I think 5-6,000 sqft in a square shape is really the ideal size. With no interior support beams. 14 ft ceilings are good but 16-18 is better. I know you have the building already but if possible I'd consider switching. With a full infield you can usually charge 2-3 times per hour. You'll likely want some non field space. Look for cross fit type people to use the facility during the morning and day. Revenue per hour of operation can be a key metric to measure. Local softball organizations can be useful in acquiring business from local teams and can provide some banners for your walls. Reach out to local colleges, minor and major league teams for signs and banners to donate. They often have extras at seasons end. ask for suggestions before committing to building next time.

What state are you in?

May 12, 2015
So what started as a small indoor space for my DD to pitch and hit has taken a different turn. We are building about a 3,000 sq ft indoor facility for softball training. There is a huge demand in our area and very few options for girls to work indoors during bad weather. We are planning on 3 lanes that could be used for hitting or pitching. The cages will be setup so they can be pushed back and have a 40x 72 open area. The floor will be all turf so you could work on practically anything. For those that have setup indoor facilities are there any suggestions you have learned or any tips for someone setting up their first one.
Yes, do it closer to my house.. and good lighting...

May 12, 2015
So what started as a small indoor space for my DD to pitch and hit has taken a different turn. We are building about a 3,000 sq ft indoor facility for softball training. There is a huge demand in our area and very few options for girls to work indoors during bad weather. We are planning on 3 lanes that could be used for hitting or pitching. The cages will be setup so they can be pushed back and have a 40x 72 open area. The floor will be all turf so you could work on practically anything. For those that have setup indoor facilities are there any suggestions you have learned or any tips for someone setting up their first one.
80x80 would be a dream as you can have an infield..

Nov 17, 2017
Guy opened a small 2 Tunnel place in my town...... One thing I'll say he has better than anyone else is his Online Reservations.... https://www.sportsalleybellmore.com/

Every Single other place around here you need to call and maybe someone picks up and they barely know what teams are coming and it's 1st come 1st serve....

I love going online and having a definite spot - Even if the place is tiny and not as good overall.

Dec 11, 2010
If building from scratch, look into radiant floor heating. in the winter, peoples feet are going to be the parts that get cold first, and just keep getting colder. also, insulate, will save money in long run.
Radiant floor heat is awesome and work great in this application. I have it in my basement and garage and its perfect. A lower air temp will feel more comfortable.
7" of closed cell spray foam on all sides and top. warm in the winter, cool in the summer.
Yes. This. I have a metal shed that is well insulated but I wish I would have bit the bullet and used spray in. You may not need much to cool it most of the time but you will have to be able to dehumidify it. Things will mold very fast if you don't. Someone else said to use a good HVAC pro and that's why.

Make one of your walls or part of one of your walls ultra braced with 3/4" plywood sheeting for slam balls, plyo balls, all of that kind of stuff.

My fantasy building is 80x80 or bigger. It has nets on all the walls and aircraft hanger style doors so you can open it up when it's nice.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I have been in one facility that had a chain link fenced area for parents and visitors to sit in. Seemed to be one of the safest options I’ve seen. Any downside to that?

Outside of a solid wall, yes. I would not use netting to protect that area. Not only does netting move, but little kids can (and will) get tangled in it.

One of the places my daughter went had no extra room. They just set lawn chairs along the nets for parents and siblings. If they were doing hitting on one of the lanes or if a throw got away, you would get whacked it you weren’t paying attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad