Individual Outfield Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has never played the outfield too much but I think that will change this year, she is 10.

I am looking for some drills she and I can do by ourselves.

All we have done so far is place a couple buckets on the field, if she catches the ball on the fly, or keeps ball in front of her, she comes up throwing to bucket #1. If the ball gets behind her she throws to bucket #2. Not even sure this is even a good drill but is what we have done.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
I like the QB drill. Have your DD start about 10ft in front of you. On go she runs to a spot (marked with a cone or something). When she gets close to the spot you throw the ball and then she looks up to find it. Do it to the left and right.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
All we have done so far is place a couple buckets on the field, if she catches the ball on the fly, or keeps ball in front of her, she comes up throwing to bucket #1. If the ball gets behind her she throws to bucket #2. Not even sure this is even a good drill but is what we have done.

Are you hitting the ball with the bat, or throwing it? There is no substitute for propelling the ball 120 feet and having her catch it. At 10 YOA, I would use a tennis racket to hit tennis balls to her from home plate to the outfield. When she feels comfortable with that, change to softballs using either a pitching machine (preferred) or a bat. With a pitching machine, the balls will be consistent and you can have her start behind where the balls will land. After that, progress to starting on the right, left, and in front of where the balls will land. Also make sure she works on her running speed. Speed is important for an outfielder. My DD became a very good outfielder using this approach.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the replies; I will try the QB drill sounds like fun.

When we practice together we mostly use Tennis balls. I can control the ball a lot better and her range is improving. For catching the ball in the air it is great, the only downside is the 1st bounce of the ball is “funny” and she needs to adjust when using the real ball. Also I do not like her throwing it hard, she needs to come up throwing but tosses the ball to where she needs to.

She sees the real ball at the Team practices. The only machine I have is spring loaded and it does a poor job with fly balls, tried it and did not like it.

I understand what you are saying about speed, I will get her running a little bit more.

May 5, 2008
Even working on basic throwing and catching drills can help. Many players know how to catch and throw, but for some reason when they get in the outfield and have to catch a fly ball, all the things they know about catching and throwing go out the window.

With 10yo one of the biggest issues is they just don't have very good catching mechanics. They catch the ball behind them, they catch the ball above their head, they can't see the ball when they catch it because they let it get too deep, they don't step to the ball when they catch so their are very flat footed on the catch which does nothing to help set up their long throw in from the outfield.

All these things are basics catching skills that should be done whenever you catch a ball. Once they are very comfortable catching a ball and moving into a throw, you have them practice it with a ball tossed up in the air vs one just thrown at them.

They should still use the same footwork and catching mechanics.

Running IS a big deal for outfielders. Even faster players often don't use their speed in the outfield. Many players will time the ball and get to the spot to catch the ball at the same time the ball does vs sprinting to get their first so they can set up their throw and make a more sure catch. Many outfielders (of infielders for that matter) forget to use their arms when they run once they have a glove on. Does she use good running mechanics when she runs/sprints? If not, she won't do it with a glove on when she's going after a flyball either. This will make her slower than her counterparts that do use good running form when sprinting after flyballs. Guess who will catch more?

So basic running form drills (no glove, high knees, sprints, agility ladder, etc), then with a glove (no ball), then have her try to do it when you the the QB drill. Emphasis good running form, good approach to the ball, putting the glove out the catch the ball when it's time to catch not before that, catching with two hands, etc. All those things are important to execute in each rep. The catches will come. But to reward or emphasize the catch only while none of those other things are being done right doesn't help her develop good technique that will take her farther. Remember the process, not just the end result.

Outfielders must be just as good at infielders and approaching the ball, then making a throw. Catching it is just the beginning. Catching or stopping the ball doesn't mean much if you don't finish the play and make a throw in.

For some drills you focus only on chasing down the ball and catching it. For others, you want to make that part easy (just toss or roll the ball) so she can work her approach to the ball, proper footwork, proper fielding technique (which is very similar to infield), and moving from receiving the ball to making the throw. Ideally approach, receive, throw isn't a choppy/segmented movement with distinct sections. The more fluid the better. So some drills you do just to work that, and you can stand close to her, roll a ball 10 feet, have her field it and throw it in to a bucket/net/backstop. You can also toss it up to simulate fly ball catch and have her receive the ball and throw in.

I do agree with Ivy's dad that much of learning to judge outfield balls (in the air or on the ground) and read them off the bat comes from actually going out there and seeing balls come at you. The more they see it, the more they do it, the more used to it and comfortable they will get. Some of that approach and catch they have to figure out by actually fielding and catching hit balls.

Good OF skills get more and more valuable the older they get! Good luck :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
2 games in and DD has not played in the outfield.

She is chomping at the bit to get out there; she has been working hard at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1