in need of pitching machine....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Even though everyone seems to not be in favor of the pitching machines, let's talk best brands in case someone is interested in one. What would you suggest? Best deals? Best balls? Etc.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use the Jugs Junior and have both the softball and baseball attachment. It must be 15 years old.

One draw back is that it is heavier than I would like.

There is a decent Atec for sale on Tucson's Craigslist for $650 with a bunch of balls.

Jugs Soft Toss is worth buying.

Feb 24, 2010
Look at FirstPitch (firstpitch.com) as they have a few models in various price ranges. Don't have one, but I have my eye on the Baseline ($550) model. Still not sure if I'm better off spending that kind of $$ on a machine, or just taking DD's to the local indoor facility.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I have a Jugs Jr. that's also about 15 years old. I use it from time to time to deliver speed over distance without having to tie up my pitchers. Not sure what you guys are doing to make yours so consistent. I use the seamed machine balls and they go all over. If you get different lots, i.e. buy them at different times, that helps too. Speeds and location vary randomly. You can't do a changeup with one machine, but there are better ways to practice for that anyway.

Everyone has their preferences. But the Jugs Company and Atec wouldn't be selling so many machines if they didn't have value. If they were that awful everyone would avoid them and the realities of business would dictate that they stop manufacturing them. Last time I looked, they were still offering machines, and in several models. Someone must be buying them.

Sep 16, 2009
I think machines have their place. We do a lot of different things with machines. I have two set up in my cage in the back yard. I totally agree that grooving fastballs is only good for fixing mechanics. Here are some things we do ( keep in mind we do a lot of front toss behind a screen, too ).

We have an older "Curvemaster dual wheel machine" Wheels are horizontal. This is the best machine...it throws balls that drop a little. We also have a BATA-1 single wheel. We set them side by side behind a screen.

Drills:
1) Move the kid at various distances from the machine ( 40, 30, 20 ). This helps them develop the compact swing for when they have two strikes and need to make contact.
2) Set up the 2nd machine for changeups. Hold two balls, mix in changeups...point changeup machine at outside corner.
3) Place batter different distances from the plate. Have them go opposite field when they are away from the plate and pull the ball when they are tight on the plate.
4) We also run the machines at pretty high speeds ( 55-60) from about 30' feet. This really helps the girls have nice efficient swings. I am always amazed how well the girls adjust.

We like to run 2 girls for an hour together and do work off of both the machines and mix in front toss as well.

As for finding a machine, monitor craigslist. The benefit of single wheel machines is they are more portable. Dual wheel machines throw a better ball IMO. The Louisville Slugger Blue flame is a reasonable machine as is a zooka. If you haven't seen a zooka they're pretty cool -- it has an air compressor in it. They don't make a softball sized zooka, though.

I got my curvemaster for $350 on craigslist ( it is a BEAST of a machine ) and my bata for 150. Just be patient and watch for deals. Good luck!

One more thing -- we also made some hitting screens out of PVC and golf net. They look like crap but I can collapse 2 of them into a bat bag. I bought a few hundred large wiffles and these work GREAT for indoor front toss. We also use light flight balls. Then you can have a nice hitting practice in a gym without a cage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207