in need of pitching machine....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2010
I coach a 10U team.... and, thanks in large part to my poor throwing mechanics from my playing days ~ have a HORRIBLE arm and shoulder. As a result, I am unable to pitch batting practice to my girls and am looking for the best option for batting practice.

Can anyone suggest / recommend the best way to find a pitching machine at a reasonable cost??? I don't have big money sponsorship ~ just a group of 9 & 10 year old girls. Suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated!!!

May 2, 2010
interesting, Timothy......
could you explain your thoughts behind the "anything but a machine" statement?? I'm very curious as to your reasoning.

Sep 3, 2009
Machines are consistent. Live pitching during batting practice is anything but consistent, and exactly what the girls will face in games. The machines are good for working on mechanics, etc, but there is no substitute for live hitting. And you can't beat the price. ;)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I like a machine, but it shouldn't be the only thing that you use. For that age anyway, I don't feel that it is worth the bucks. Especially if your competition isn't throwing that fast. You've got girls that pitch. Can't have a team without a pitcher. They need to practice throwing to batters as well as the pitching practice they do outside of practice. Girls also need to learn to hit "kid pitch" instead of hitting off the machine. Very, very different looks.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Machines are consistent. Live pitching during batting practice is anything but consistent, and exactly what the girls will face in games. The machines are good for working on mechanics, etc, but there is no substitute for live hitting. And you can't beat the price. ;)

What he said..

I think they're fine, if working on a specific mechanical issue, or for experienced hitters. But for teaching girls that age, I imagine you have some that swing at everything... and others that swing at nothing. I don't think a machine helps with either of those scenarios very much. ( I also coach 10u, and there's maybe 2 girls I'd use a machine with)

Amanda brings up an good point too, why not have your pitchers throw BP?

May 2, 2010
I do use my pitchers for bp. This gets them work as well as letting the girls see 'live pitching'.
However, I believe that when girls are learning to bunt and/or slap .... or just working on shortening up their swings and focusing on making contact... machines are valuable. Repetitive (and yes, consistent) pitching is invaluable for kids to get the muscle memory of a good swing.

After 30 years of playing ball (and not having the best 'mechanics') - I don't have the ability to throw bp anymore. The shoulder just won't do it anymore.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No machine for me, either.

I have seen those cheap "machines" that you sit on a bench and there is a slingshot that throws the ball. Two of my parents own them and they can do a basic job. Plus, they can throw pop flies for the outfield.

I am sorry, I don't know what they are called.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The Louisville Slugger UPM 45(blue flame) is $200, fits in the car, throws up to about 45mph, and spring loaded, so you can set it up anywhere.
Cheaper than a new shoulder., more expensive than a good pitching screen.

Jul 28, 2008
Get a pitching screen. Set it up about 15+/- feet in front of the hitter. Just have your right arm off to the side while the rest of your body is behind the screen and sling shot pitch to the girls this way. You can work inside, outside, high and low to the hitters. It's a much more effective way to run BP. It also helps to have someone by the hitter so that they can correct mechanical flaws.

I do this with my kids and it works wonders, because I can't hit the same spot twice to save my life. They have to watch the ball and adjust their swings, just as in a game.

Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach