I'm new to being "the parent." What do I do???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
Ok, so I've coached 5 years of HS ball, and 5 seasons of rec ball. Now, I have a kid playing his first season of baseball...7U.
Tonight, for the third game in a row, he played: catcher, bench,catcher, bench, catcher,bench...
This team has 14 kids, and MY kid sits out three of six innings..There are 5 kids who haven't sat out ONE inning all season! We are 6 games into it...

Add to this that the idiot 1st base coach sends my slow-as-molasses kid to 2nd, after he hits a ball to the kid playing right-center. (yes, they play 4 boys in the outfield) The kid is standing right behind 2nd base with the ball, and he sends my kid to 2nd...:confused:...He got out. DUH

After the 4th inning, I told the assistant coach that I wasn't real pleased with the coach playing catcher/benchsitter with my kid.
5th inning? He plays catcher...6th inning?? yep, back at bench.

I got home tonight and looked up playing rules for the kids..
Not only are they not allowed to sit a kid out for more than 2 innings in a game, BUT they can't sit a kid out who has already sat out until every other kid on the team has sat out at least one inning...pitcher excluded for 8U and up. Remember, they have 14 kids, and 5 have NEVER sat an inning out all season...

How do I deal with this without coming across as the crazy momma?

Mar 15, 2010
First you need to speak to the head coach or manager one on one and out of ear shot of everyone. If that does not work than your rec league should have a player agent and/or division rep. In the past I served in both positions and took violations of local playing rules serious. Try that approach next. If you do not see appropriate changes than you can take your concerns to the rec board. Keep in mind if the direct approach with the coach does not work and you go to PA or Div Rep or Board you will be labeled a "crazy mom". People will speak behind your back and during next years draft the coaches will refer to your kid "as the one with that difficult mom".

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree with everything SoCalDad said. But it's still worth it, if for no other reason than to assure that the rules are applied fairly and all the kids are given the proper opportunity to play ball.

Many years ago our neighbor's son was on a baseball team with a manager who really wanted to win. The kid was a good athlete, but apparently not good enough for the coach. He sat out the entire first playoff game. His parents complained to the league director, and the coach was summarily banned from ever coaching in the league again. Rightfully so.

These are seven year olds. Hopefully the coach is merely ignorant of the rules -- and a little ill-prepared for the job. If he's doing it on purpose he should be removed.

Feb 9, 2009
I "asked" my husband to say something to the coach once we got home tonight. I just don't really trust me. He's much more calm and cool about things. He emailed him, and I read it...I would've been using all caps with bold font. We'll see what, if anything, the coach comes back with. But if he gives a real noncommital answer...or lame explanation...:mad:

Feb 9, 2009
Ken, I'm really just hoping that the coach didn't read the league rules before the season started!! That would seem more like him...And it's not that my kid should be finding another sport to play. He really likes catching, and he cranked a hit to the outfield...but guess where the dads whose kids never come out of the field are during the game? In the dugout...There were 7 dads in there tonight! Maybe next game there will be 7 dads and 1 crazy mom!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
When I coached 6u then 8u rec after a couple of games I googled player rotations. On the net I found rotations for 8 up to 14 players. I ended up suggesting it to the board and still now every team has to use the rotation. Went to a daughters 8u last year and caught coach not doing it. She played right field, sat out, right field, then sat out. After game I said "coach, dd played right twice and sat out twice, don't you use the rotation?" He said he forgot his sheets at home. I think most coaches of kids that age really want to be fair, and the rotation sheets make sure of that.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
They worked great, just list the girls when they get to the game and it gave the position for each inning. Usually if you got a good spot like pitch or first in the first inning then next inning you were in the field or sit. The worst part of using them is when girls show up late, then you have to start on a whole new page.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
All of our rec league rules are posted online. Every parent should read these rules. As a coach, I always try to be transparent with my decisions that will affect the players. For example, we have similar rules that no player can play outfield more than two innings per game and no kids sit any inning. However, come playoff time, you can play any player, any positions, for as long as you like. I let the parents know before the playoffs started that some of the players may play the same position the whole game. Not a single parent complained and I think that was a direct result of my being open and honest with them right from the start. By the way, during the games we did try to rotate some of the girls into different positions so they could get a different experience. The bottom-line is more communication, not less with the parents. You need to manage their expectations and be fair.

Oct 18, 2009
At that age level I bet the coach just didn't know the rules. I'd speak with the coach about the rules then with your league's player agent if you couldn;t come to an agreement and see how they want to handle it. From the coaches perspective at 7u it's difficult to manage positions and playing time at that age when you have 14 kids and are trying to teach kids how to play their position. It's hard for certain kids to learn one position; how much harder is it when they keep switching positions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish