Illegal player suspected not on roster

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2019
Syracuse, NY
At a local 14u ASA tournament that has a few teams that we play during league play. One of these teams has a pitcher subbing from another organization, that we suspect did not allow her to be removed from their official ASA roster, and suspect she is subbing for this other team illegally. The frustrating part is the team is advancing and a #2 seed into bracket play, which I do not think would be possible without this sub. How do you handle? Mention to tournament director and he will confirm rosters? Or wait to see if we play them in bracket play and appeal? Sorry if this is newbie question. My first time coming across something like this as HC in a Tourn. Thanks in advance. Love this site and appreciate all of your experience!

May 29, 2015
Speak to the Tournament Director. Your choice as to when you do it.

Roster issues are not an umpire issue, so do not quote me on this ... but I believe USA Softball (the old ASA) roster rules apply on a tournament by tournament basis. As long as she doesn’t appear on the roster of another team playing in that tournament, I don’t think there is an issue. Again, I could be wrong on that and would encourage you to speak to the TD for an official opinion.

Mar 7, 2016
unless its a state level tournament, she CAN be on another ASA roster and sub as long as she is not ranked above the class she is picking up with otherwise they would have to play to the highest class level of girls on their roster that weekend.

Jun 8, 2016
unless its a state level tournament, she CAN be on another ASA roster and sub as long as she is not ranked above the class she is picking up with otherwise they would have to play to the highest class level of girls on their roster that weekend.
USSSA "freezes" rosters at a certain point (I think before States start). Does ASA do the same?

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
USSSA "freezes" rosters at a certain point (I think before States start). Does ASA do the same?

I don't see how they could... They only use a printable PDF for rostering - not a database like USSSA.

Mar 7, 2016
you have to submit online by a certain date, your rosters are locked and changes can only be made through approval. However i have never seen them not approve anyone and players can be on someone elses roster just as long as their original roster team is not playing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Jun 8, 2016
ASA/USA doesn't really freeze the roster. But there are limitations if you are attending a State or National level event. Otherwise pickup players are permitted as long as you follow the guidelines listed by @ SESwildfire. The attached link provides some more information.

OK, thanks. Not much ASA/USA ball here in Oklahoma. We just played in a USSSA "Nationals" tournament where a number of teams rostered players (pitchers to be exact) right before the deadline who hadn't played for those teams all year so the whole freezing thing doesn't really do much..it just makes teams add ringers a bit earlier..lol!!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
OK, thanks. Not much ASA/USA ball here in Oklahoma. We just played in a USSSA "Nationals" tournament where a number of teams rostered players (pitchers to be exact) right before the deadline who hadn't played for those teams all year so the whole freezing thing doesn't really do much..it just makes teams add ringers a bit earlier..lol!!

That is shocking since, well OKC is the home of ASA/USA Softball... As far as "ringers" USA allows the use of pickup players (Now there are rules about the pickup players depending upon the Tournament). These pickup players are not on the roster of the team, but must be USA registered.

Jun 8, 2016
That is shocking since, well OKC is the home of ASA/USA Softball...
Yes it is strange. I don't even know if I have ever seen one advertised on any of the boards which do such things. It is typically USSSA or unsanctioned.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13