Illegal pitching-no call??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I know this is futile effort, but because I have the heart of a teacher, I am hoping somebody, anybody, learns a little about thinking like an umpire and why we are saying they things we are saying.

I posted it earlier, but Tex added some case book references as well. I am putting that full quote at the end and will pull out pieces as needed ...

That is an illegal pitch bc she is replanting; that being advantageous.

The definition tells us the replant is illegal if it is prior to the delivery of the pitch.
(2-16) A crow hop is the replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. The crow hop is an illegal pitch.

The rule tells us something different: we need the drag foot to break contact with the ground and/or push off from the reestablished point.
(6-1-2c) The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. If a hole has been created in front of the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may be no higher than the level plane of the ground. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

The case play gives us more different information in the “Comment”. It requires FOUR things: (1) loss of contact with the ground, (2) replanting the pivot/drive foot (which, as we established earlier means (3) there MUST be a second push from that point), and (4) the hands not separating until AFTER the replant.
COMMENT: In some cases, pitchers are crow hopping which is the act of breaking contact with the ground and replanting the pivot foot. Then F1 separates her hands to start her pitch. In essence, the pivot foot is planted twice, which moves the pitcher closer to the batter, giving the pitcher an unfair advantage. Leaps, hops or skips, etc., are illegal and shall not be permitted. (2-16; 2-33; 6-1-2c)

So ... sreynolds says illegal because (1) replant and (2) gaining an advantage. While it may be advantageous (and is advantageous by the case play “Comment”), being advantageous is NOT a part of the rule. (It’s the reason for the rule.) That leaves us the replant which, in and of itself is NOT illegal by rule — you need more.

Spot on with the “hitch” on a replant. It’s a “pause” at the top of the arm circle or beginning of the down swing

Fury_Mike provides us with observations on the arm movement. None of that is in the rule. Again, it may provide clues as to what is happening ... but there is nothing in the rules or interpretations about arm hitches.

Tex’s post, just because I like some of the info added ...

Some umpires are afraid to make the call or don't know the rules for illegal pitching. The following are the rules from the 2019 NFHS Rulebook and Casebook. If you need more information, send an e-mail to (sdurkee@cableone.net)

NFHS Casebook
(F.P.) In delivering a pitch, if F1's pivot foot breaks contact with the pitcher's plate but not the ground before the non-pivot ("stride") foot has touched the ground, is F1 in violation of the pitching rule?
RULING: Because it is physically impossible for F1's pivot foot to remain in contact with the pitcher's plate when delivering a pitch, F1 shall not be penalized.
COMMENT: In some cases, pitchers are crow hopping which is the act of breaking contact with the ground and replanting the pivot foot. Then F1 separates her hands to start her pitch. In essence, the pivot foot is planted twice, which moves the pitcher closer to the batter, giving the pitcher an unfair advantage. Leaps, hops or skips, etc., are illegal and shall not be permitted. (2-16; 2-33; 6-1-2c)

(2-16) A crow hop is the replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. The crow hop is an illegal pitch.
(2-33) A leap is when both feet are airborne by the pitcher prior to delivering the pitch. A leap is an illegal pitch.

NFHS Rulebook
(6-1-2c) The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. If a hole has been created in front of the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may be no higher than the level plane of the ground. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

Three of our most famous pitchers were all illegal : Barnhill, Osterman, and Abbot. You can find these illegal pitches on YouTube

Back to the original video ... I have described what I am seeing in the video. As has been pointed out, video is one angle and angles can be deceiving. However we can only work off of that video.

What I am seeing could be construed as a replant (that “tipping” or “fulcrum” movement as I describe it.

What I am NOT seeing in the video is neither a clear loss of contact with the ground nor a second push. Additionally, the pitcher’s hands are separated before any of this.

To review our four point checklist for a crow hop:
(1) loss of contact with the ground Not clear and definitive
(2) replanting the pivot/drive foot Possibly
(3) there MUST be a second push from that point No
(4) the hands not separating until AFTER the replant No

Last edited:
May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Illegal....maybe.

Never, ever will be called though. Especially on a dirt field.

My DD's entire high school career I have only seen one illegal pitch called. And it was because the official calling it had no clue....his claim was "she has to maintain contact with the pitching rubber until the ball is released". He was overruled by the plate umpire.

The Man in Blue is correct as well, regarding the replant. If you want to spot a true replant, don't watch the legs. Watch the arm circle. A replant will always cause a hitch in the arm circle that can be seen a mile away.
At the risk of offending our resident pitching coaches ...

View attachment 14949

Bernie... you are right... most pitching coaches think they know everything... which is sad. Please ask them to contact me and I will help (for free) the "local" pitching coach - on how to teach their pitchers to drag properly... 99.99% don't know how to train/teach the adjustment... Unfortunately, most of them defend their instruction methodology (i.e. their "big egos" and lack of flexibility to keep learning and become a better pitching coach - #LazyPitchingCoach

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
As you know, most umpires are human and they are right 50% of the time :LOL:

Unfortunately, many of them are told by the assigners and/or the UIC... to NEVER call an illegal pitch, because this will "delay the game/tournament"... WTH??? :censored:🤬

Most people know that the "written rule book" is antiquated...

Hello? This is 2019... the "Digital Era".

The text language of the rules book(s) reads like a LAWYER wrote the rules... 😵

How can we resolve all these “RULE ISSUES” and the inconsistent "umpires interpretations" of the rule book?

By adding approved "video and photo examples" that are specifically designed to clarify the written text rules!

In regards to the topic of replanting…

IMO - Once the drive leg’s foot/shoe/cleat’s “TOE BENDS” while "dragging", it should immediately be "called an ILLEGAL PITCH"
(i.e. the toe bending causes a pivot point - glitch - hitch - delay - replant - crow hop - etc.)

Wouldn't y’all agree that it's extremely EASY to see the drag foot “toe bend”?

It is time for YOU and all the other coaches/parents to DEMAND video and photo examples from the ruling bodies (USA, USSSA, NHFA, PGF, etc) of Fastpitch Softball !!!

Thank YOU for supporting your daughters and this AMAZING sport! 👍 🥎:cool:

Kent Reed
Founder of FastpitchPros and Pitching Instructor
"Training The Future of Fastpitch"

Replanting_Crow-Hopping_Illegal_Pitch_Womens_Girls_Mens.jpg

Mar 28, 2014
Unfortunately, many of them are told by the assigners and/or the UIC... to NEVER call an illegal pitch, because this will "delay the game/tournament"... WTH??? :censored:🤬

How can we resolve all these “RULE ISSUES” and the inconsistent "umpires interpretations" of the rule book?

By adding approved "video and photo examples" that are specifically designed to clarify the written text rules!

IMO - Once the drive leg’s foot/shoe/cleat’s “TOE BENDS” while "dragging", it should immediately be "called an ILLEGAL PITCH"
(i.e. the toe bending causes a pivot point - glitch - hitch - delay - replant - crow hop - etc.)

It is time for YOU and all the other coaches/parents to DEMAND video and photo examples from the ruling bodies (USA, USSSA, NHFA, PGF, etc) of Fastpitch Softball !!!

Kent Reed

View attachment 15043

May 29, 2015
As you know, most umpires are human and they are right 50% of the time :LOL:

Kent Reed

View attachment 15043

The only thing that I can disagree with is your opening statement. My wife says that is giving me too much credit.

I have absolutely no issue with changing the rules. I have said that on illegal pitches in softball and in a major argument over balks in baseball. We cannot just enforce things because “it should be”. If you want things to be illegal, you have to change THE RULES. I emphasize THE RULES because too many orgs (including NFHS) have tried to “legislate through case play” and end up issuing contradictory statements.

The only other hiccup I would point out in your post is the video thing ... It sounds good, but we have videos in this thread and can’t agree. Maybe clarify that with comprehensive/quality videos?

Edited to add: I did forget one thing ... not saying it doesn’t happen, but I have never been told by an assignor or UIC not to call something.

Aug 30, 2015
I wanted to post this picture about 6 pages ago but am just now getting to it.

This is from a Flo Softball email blast a few weeks ago.

The girl above is just fine. IMO, the girl below is illegal.

Then,...just got this email today also from Flo.

I can just feel like she's about to leap and push off from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate.

Not quite sure what my point is....just thought it was funny timing with this thread that Flo is broadcasting what-arguably-are illegal pitchers.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
They should make landing on the sole/ball of the drag foot prior to or simultaneously to the drive foot landing illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
Legal pitching looks so much better to me. I love action pitching shots but the Barnhill style just doesn't look pretty. Is that a good enough reason to keep it illegal?

Apr 30, 2018
I wanted to post this picture about 6 pages ago but am just now getting to it.

This is from a Flo Softball email blast a few weeks ago.
View attachment 15045

The girl above is just fine. IMO, the girl below is illegal.

Then,...just got this email today also from Flo.

View attachment 15046

I can just feel like she's about to leap and push off from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate.

Not quite sure what my point is....just thought it was funny timing with this thread that Flo is broadcasting what-arguably-are illegal pitchers.

Actually that is a Bandits picture of Barnhill.. So there is nothing illegal about that pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06