Illegal pitching? A survey

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Are these pitchers illegal?

• Yes, all are illegal.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Some are illegal, some of the time.

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • None are illegal. No rule violations.

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Mar 18, 2010
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. After reading through quite a few pitching threads, I was interested to know what you people think about the following...

Take a look at these videos of pitchers who have posted themselves on Youtube. Which, if any, do you think are illegal, and why or why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkqrft0oShw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-cJnhBciDM&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6km98nqUJQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U82mT6lRr0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDBWKo0ozlQ&feature=related

Feb 28, 2010
Just looking at the footwork, I don't see anything illegal. What I was looking for was contact with the plate (when there was one). Pivot foot in contact with the ground throughout, and the lead foot landing before or simultaneous to the pivot foot. If the lead foot is landing first, what might look like a replant is simply the pitcher bringing her pivot foot through forcibly. She is not pushing off from a point other than the pitching plate (replanting). This is what I'm seeing. Hope it helps.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All of them are fairly bad. I see replants, and forward leans.

Coaches do not want all of the graphics and music. There was one that I turned off before she even pitched.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Just looking at the footwork, I don't see anything illegal. What I was looking for was contact with the plate (when there was one). Pivot foot in contact with the ground throughout, and the lead foot landing before or simultaneous to the pivot foot. If the lead foot is landing first, what might look like a replant is simply the pitcher bringing her pivot foot through forcibly. She is not pushing off from a point other than the pitching plate (replanting). This is what I'm seeing. Hope it helps.

Are we looking at the same videos? The pivot foot on everyone of these girls is off the ground before the ball is released and is an IP. IMO, the pitching coaches / parents of these girls should be ashamed of themselves for not correcting these illegal mechanics early on in their development.

Mar 13, 2010
Are we looking at the same videos? The pivot foot on everyone of these girls is off the ground before the ball is released and is an IP. IMO, the pitching coaches / parents of these girls should be ashamed of themselves for not correcting these illegal mechanics early on in their development.

SoCalSoftballdad:
Well put! You are right on target with your analysis of their deliveries....all IP's* and your statement to the parents is spot on. If any of you posters think those are not IP's, you're playing by a rule set of which I'm not familiar.

*Look at the last video again...she's legal with her fastball only. All her other pitches are IP's.

Jul 3, 2009
Pitcher #3 is the worst offender for a leaping call, but all the others, especially the last one, are certainly candidates for a crow-hopping call. Whatever happened to legal pitching? Did everyone decide to just forget the rules altogether? Apparently the officials as well, since they probably wouldn't be pitching illegally if it had been called on them during games...just sayin'

Mar 15, 2010
IP? Probably. Called in a game? Probably not. Umpires not calling illegal pitches that involve crow hopping, leaping, pivot leap/foot replants has been one of my biggest frustrations over the years. The only time I have seen an IP called in the past couple of years has been before the pitch (i.e. taking a signal with hands together, taking more than 20 seconds, stepping off the plate without time called). A couple of weeks ago I faced a team where the pitchers leap foot was at least two inches behind the pitchers plate. Legal in high school in my state but illegal under the ASA rules we were playing. Pointed it out, ump ignored it completely (only plate ump and told me he couldn't see it). I don't blame the coaches entirely I also blame the officiating that allows pitchers to get away with illegal deliveries.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
BTW, who is teaching these kids? If their parents are paying for lessons, I hope they can get a refund. If the umpires don't catch them in the lower levels, they will get them later and some poor coach will have to correct them, if they even take them on.
I was an assistant w/a 13-15 team when my youngest DD was playing rec ball. The head coach had been an excellent male softball player in the local leagues and was elected to the local HOF as a player. However, in practice he taught his own DD to pitch with a crow hop, I told him that it was illegal,but he insisted it wasn't. Needless to say, first game, first pitch "IP". Some people just won't listen. See spent the next 3 games unlearning what she was taught. It's important to learn the right way the first time. If there is any question if it is illegal or not at all, it is better to have them pitch in a way you know is legal IMHO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06