10U Pitching Mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I have been following the pitching forum for about 6 months and have finally gotten around to taking some video of my DD. This is my middle DD she plays 10U TB and 10U LL. She has been pitching for about 18 months and has seen a pitching instructor for about the last 8 months once a week. I was lucky enough to find this forum before her pitching instructor could teach her HE (I can't thank the members of this board for that one enough). We agreed to disagree on this one and she leaves it alone, other than that both I and more importantly my DD really like the instructor.

I have learned so much from reading thru the posts on this board. I have 3 DD's and I sit on a bucket and catch for one of them almost every night of the week, however I think my youngest may become a catcher.

My middle DD is currently working on keeping her weight back when the stride foot lands, and not turning the drag foot over so much. This video was taken in the rain today while we where at the park doing some long toss work.

Any feedback on her mechanics is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1e5qaKn1zo&feature=youtu.be

Woody
First recommendation....give your PC a bonus....he/she is doing a nice job with DD.
DD is doing great for that age and amount of time pitching!!!
You are right about the weight.....although I would be a little careful about describing it as "weight back" 'cause actually she should be trying to transfer the weight (energy) into the front side. A better description, IMO, would be to "land with some tilt" and "brace the front side with the landing foot"......really though she is not far off on this. Keep up the great work!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is very good, right where she is for a few weeks. I do like to encourage the girls to relax the right arm, after release and not force the arm to stop.

Aug 9, 2013
What I love about the video is how 'strong' she stays with her chest. My team has a few pitchers Achilles heel is that they don't come out with the chest high and get wild. When they do that, they are consistent.

May 5, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Thanks Rick for the feedback and the correct terminology. When the stride foot lands should the leg be perfectly straight or is it ok to bend a little to absorb the impact? She currently lands nicely on the front of the foot and not flat footed like she did before starting with our PC. We pitch a good deal and I want to make sure that we are not doing anything that could cause future injuries.

Thanks Amy: We used some of the drills in the IR thread in the off season and she use to have a very relaxed arm after release and still does on occasion. We have been working a lot on a change up lately and I think it is something she picked up as she is trying to figure out how to be consistent with her change up. I will ask her about it during our next practice at home. Thanks for pointing it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar