Illegal Pitches hershey Pa

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
All in all a good experience.
However, Fri Sat faced several pitchers with questionable pitching styles ... several who were completely airborn. Umpires not calling any IP's in our games or others we watched.
Sunday our first game up by one run, but our pitcher got in trouble bases loaded no outs. Coach puts my DD in ... other coach screaming IP IP ... she has a motion that looks like hopping but her foot was NOT leaving the ground on these pitches (if it was, it was moving straight over the hole in front of rubber, not going upwardS) ... anyway ump calls a couple IP'S runners advance now we are down by one. She showed the ump her drag which was a complete curve but he didn't buy it. Coach puts other pitcher back in. OK...now here is the kicker ..other pitcher foot comes straight up off rubber every pitch ... they were not calling it and even the parents on the other team said their pitcher was also off the rubber. Part of life!

HUGE hole in front of rubber as well so is that leaping? No idea how that works ...

My DD has had a few issues with foot leaving the ground (it doesn't occur all the time)
... so we might as well work on it now ...

here is a video taken two days before ... I think she is hopping here:
YouTube - MVI_1580.AVI

here is video taken today at home ...not same as game:
YouTube - MVI_1732.AVI

Pictures of pitch and her drag marks on our rubber here at home.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
OMG too funny ...

I thought I WAS whining!

But the only productive approach is to fix it ..

I think if she just pointed her toe down....
but that seems too simple

Mar 13, 2010
Sorry all I can focus on is that your daughter's uniform has a softball on it! I didn't think that was allowed!

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
Yes, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't.
Video: first pitch yes ... second pitch no. .. inconsistent ..

Yes, agree illegal ... not arguing that ...

HOW DO WE FIX THIS?

She started leap drag in the spring ....
we were playing around with a jump rope in front of rubber yesterday (first in kitchen with flat floor)

Working on toe pointing down and pushing motion forward not upwards ..
limited success...

May 7, 2010
not an expert but i usually start with focusing on driving the pivot foot knee to the plant foot knee. rather than hitching and planting pivot foot before the stride foot lands. it is a lot easier to fix a leaper than a crowhopper.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One problem that I see in the few examples that you posted, is that no 2 deliveries are the same. So, people are watching her feet from pitch to pitch and they see something different all the time, so they start complaining.

I would fix that area that she is practicing in at home. Tear it out, level it with back dirt, tamp it down, water and repeat. And buy a new pitcher's plate. She needs consistency.

Video tape her feet a lot and let her see it, a lot. I even print out still pics from my videos for my students.

I am expecting a device in the mail that is supposed to address the leaping. I will review it, when I get a chance.

Good luck. It appears that she has a lot of talent.

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't.
Video: first pitch yes ... second pitch no. .. inconsistent ..

Yes, agree illegal ... not arguing that ...

HOW DO WE FIX THIS?

She started leap drag in the spring ....
we were playing around with a jump rope in front of rubber yesterday (first in kitchen with flat floor)

Working on toe pointing down and pushing motion forward not upwards ..
limited success...

I heard a coach once tell a pitcher with this problem to put a weighted ankle braclet on till they got used to the drag. Whether this works or is ok, I'm not an expert, but thought it made sense.

Jun 4, 2009
We played in a 14u tournament in South Charletson, WV, last weekend. The pitcher on the other team leaped every pitch. We quietly mentioned it to the ump several times. Finally the ump calls it one time, and the parents and coaches on the other team went nuts, saying we are trying to play mind games with the girls. She stops doing it for a few pitches and went right back to leaping, umps only called it one more time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes